MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

outdoormans tripods

I have the medium and compact medium. I use the pistol grip head on both of mine and have no complaints on either. One day I may get one that you can use while standing. I don't think the compact medium is worth the extra coin over the medium unless you absolutely need to save a couple of inches in the pack.

I have the tripod adapter on my 8x56. When I don't want to pack in a tripod I attach it to my trekking pole and it really beats using your elbows on your knees to steady the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 409
Glad to see this thread, I've been debating one of these all spring and can't make myself pull the trigger. Sell it to me!

If anyone has any other good recommendations for a good tripod with a fluid head I am all ears as well.

This is my current tripod. When I got it a couple of years ago you had to get the legs and head separately. It is still a decent option for about 2.5lbs, but I am sure their are better things out there, and have been told that my Swaro glass is slumming on it.
http://www.vanguardworld.us/photo_video_us/alta-264ao.html#go-sectionTop

I think there are a bunch of great options out there. I went with this one (http://www.sandsarchery.com/Promaster-XC525c-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-p/proxc525c.htm) and can't say anything bad about it. I'd buy it again if I was in the market.

Good luck with your search!

I am a fan of the S&S guys, but also like to save a buck. The ProMaster you mentioned can be found as a demo unit on CameralandNY for $239.

Also, how do the twist locks hold up? They always make me nervous.

I have one that I won in a contest a few years ago. I'm a tightwad and hate to spend money on things unless it really is worth it and I'm pretty sure I would have never been able to justify buying one.

With that said, their resale value is exceptional and when they do hit the classifieds they get snapped up really quick. I could probably throw mine up for sale at 80% of retail value and have it sold within a week.

I plan on keeping mine. I really like the pistol grip. It is sturdy and light and it will last for decades.

I am a fan of the S&S guys, but also like to save a buck. The ProMaster you mentioned can be found as a demo unit on CameralandNY for $239.

Also, how do the twist locks hold up? They always make me nervous.

I haven't experienced negative issues with the twist locks on this tripod. It has been a solid design for my use. In the past, I have experienced the rubber on the twist locks coming off but that was with a different manufacturer. In extreme cold weather, I have also snapped the lever locks off of a different manufacturer's tripod...that is part of the reason I've went with the twist style.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back