Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

OTC vs draw tags

Texasgamehunter

If states like Montana and Colorado have OTC tags that can be purchased, what is the point of putting your name in the hat for the draw tags? It just seems like to me everyone would go for the guarantee of the OTC tags. This question is in reference to deer and elk. I know hunting other species requires a draw tag.

The reason for entering the limited entry draws in those states is to build points for the hope that eventually you will draw some of those units/hunts that are off-limits with the general/OTC tags. The OTC/general tags usually have a lot more hunting pressure, making the limited entry tags a better quality experience as far as hunting pressure, and maybe slightly better age class of animals.

Yes, you can imagine if you draw an LE elk unit where there are 10 -- 50-- 100 -- tags for an entire unit that your odds are very good to get into some great elk hunting minus the hunting pressure Randy mentions.

For example here in ID we too are an OTC state, last year in the zone I hunt we had over 6,000 hunters in it with elk tags, that's a lot of hunters! That's more hunters than we have elk! (grin) So you can see how attractive it is to hunt areas where only a few tags are offered, your odds for success can dramatically increase as well as the caliber of elk.

ElkNut1

OTC tags are a good option if you don't draw your preferred unit, or while accumulating points. As a CO resident I have some OTC units I know well, will pick one of those if I don't draw a limited unit. You probably know that not drawing your 1st choice unit in CO gives you a preference point for a future year. A point or 2 give you access to many "better" limited or draw units. Another strategy is to get a cow tag, hunt and learn the unit while saving points for a bull tag in the same unit. Good luck.

That is some good insight! Elknut.... That is ALOT of hunters in a unit. Looks like I will be putting into the draw system and see what can happen next year. I know that I already missed it for this year. Thank you for filling in the gaps for me on this gents.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back