Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

OTC Southern CO Archery Elk recommendation?

8point

Any recommendations for units in S Colorado? I have hunted elk twice in NM but non resident tags are hard to come by. Not very familiar with CO. I live in TX panhandle and hunt Texas every year and manage to draw a few NM pronghorn, mule deer and elk tags.

Regarding the comment on "any of the units in the Wenimuche" being good hunting. Yes, they are, however unit 76 there is a trophy unit that takes a lot of preference pts. to draw a tag. I live in So. Central Colorado, and find it's a mixed bag. The South San Juan Wilderness is a very neat place, however in many parts of it, it's tough to get around, especially if you're packing your camp on your back. Unit 80, where I live, has a lot of roads and ATV trails to deal with. There are good places to hunt if you do your homework though. We have only a fair amount of Elk, and our share of out of state hunters too. I'll be out there in bow season as well, and in fact am packing in to my backcountry campsite with the horses and mule on the 10th, so do a bit of camping and scouting.
I find it hard to give you specific advice, not knowing how you plan to hunt, and then the weather and other hunting pressure influence where the Elk are. We had about 125 Elk around our ranch in April & May, but they're dispersed and up high these days.

Back