Yeti GOBOX Collection

OTC Arizona Elk/Deer tag recommendations

cjhafla

I've lived in AZ about a year now but didn't draw an elk tag this year. I'm needing recommendations for OTC elk tags (doesn't matter cow or bull tag) for Arizona! The only OTC elk tags they offer have very low success. I'd also like recommendations for a OTC deer tag. I primarily rifle hunt but getting a bow ready would also be an option. Trying to make the most of this hunting season as I'm no longer a resident of ID!

Sure the AZ guys know more than I do, but I don't think you will find any OTC elk and the only OTC deer will be archery.

Mr Fin is right. Those OTC elk tags are just to get the elk out of the places they are not supposed to be in. Very LOW SUCCESS!
The deer is archery only at this point and it starts the second half of December. So you have time to get that bow ready.

Welcome aboard. It's always nice to see more AZ guys join up. I hope you'll stick around, and share some pics and stories.

As for OTC elk recommendations...I recommend you not bother buying a tag until you've done some scouting, and see what you're up against. $135 is a lot of money for very few elk. If you're really serious about it, I suggest that you do as much research and scouting as you can between now and January, and buy the tag first thing next year. The tag is good for either sex-- depending on the season and area-- and good for any open season in any of the open areas during the calender year. Buy the tag on the first of January, and get out hunting every chance you get.

As was mentioned, the only OTC deer tags are for archery. The tag is not unit specific. It is good for any open unit, just make sure to check the regs because not every unit is open for every archery season.

If you want to take the rifle out and chase some predators, AZ is a great place to be. $15 gets you an OTC mountain lion tag. The season is open all year in most of the state. $25 gets you an OTC bear tag. The fall season opens tomorrow in quite a few units. Bear hunts run by quota, so you need to call the hotline to make sure the unit you want to hunt is still open before you go.

If you like chasing birds, gambels and scaled quail seasons open tomorrow, and stay open through February.

If you want to hunt Javelina next year, apps are due Tuesday after next-- the second Tuesday in October. If you miss the deadline, there are always a bunch of leftovers.

Tons of opportunity here in AZ.

Last edited:
My nephew that lives in AZ. suggested that I try that 4 or 5 years ago. the AZ. game and fish people were very helpful about telling me different units and where the Elk were.
but with the low success rate, and a $700.00 + non-res tag cost, I decided not to do it.
the Elk numbers in those unit are very low.
but for a resident that had the time to do some scouting it wouldn't be a bad deal. imo

Kevin

Thank you everyone for all the input! Just reading all the replies is giving me the itch to turn off football and head for the hills!

If you are putting in for Elk for the first time I suggest putting in for hunts with a high tag count and later in the season if you want to go out sooner than later. And I have a good system for deer. I apply for a bonus point only and wait for the leftover hunts to come out and apply for those. That way I can build my points up for a primo hunt in a few years and still get out there. The leftovers are typically rifle hunts too. Between the leftover rifle tags and up to 3 OTC archery deer seasons, you have plenty off opportunities to get out there.
You can also get 2 Javelina per year here. So I put for the regular draw and then get a leftover for a different unit. Like it was said, I would scout those OTC Elk units really hard before spending money on a tag.

How far are you from colorado? Are you willing to travel? They have a bunch of options for 3rd rifle season, OTC. Heck…I think even Randy finally got one on one of his most recent episodes….:D Good luck and thanks for joining the site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back