Osprey.optics?

Djfan

Looked at a 3-12 x 44 scope. Lifetime warranty. $215.

I'm a teacher, so it fits my budget.

Any thoughts on it? Anyone bought one?

I tend to stay away from new optics companies. I do have a couple Sightrons and would recommend them. mtmuley

I tend to stay away from new optics companies. I do have a couple Sightrons and would recommend them. mtmuley
I don't know what teachers make in your neck of the woods, but those scopes are over half of my monthly take home pay.

However, I do take donations and gifts.

I don't know what teachers make in your neck of the woods, but those scopes are over half of my monthly take home pay.

However, I do take donations and gifts.
The one I linked is $250. mtmuley

I’m with mtmuley, I’d stay away from unknown optics companies. You could gamble and get lucky but with a tight budget why bother (my wife is a teacher so I understand). I’ve heard good things about the sightron but haven’t used them. I’m a believer in spending money on glass when you can but it’s not always an option. My little brother has had a sig buckmaster (~$100) on a savage axis for a couple years with no issue and I have a Burris full field ($150-200) on an old Remington 7400. They are both set it and forget it scopes

If you cut enough corners you make a circle, then you are right back where you started!

Your riflescope is essential to your success. It absolutely has to work or you will pull your hair out.

The only sub $500 riflescope I would consider is the SWFA 6x42.

Your riflescope is essential to your success. It absolutely has to work or you will pull your hair out.

The only sub $500 riflescope I would consider is the SWFA 6x42.
Id throw in the Vortex Viper HSLR as well 4x16x44 or 50 for around $350 when they go on sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse. Honesty for the warranty and the quality of glass with the dead hold BDC, it’s a hell of a deal.

Burris Fulfield is also another very good glass for the price. Better than Vortex Diamondback by far. Has other crosshairs and a red dot. 2.5x10x40 (I think) for around $200 at Cabelas. That’s on my wife’s rifle and she likes it. I just didn’t like the eye relief but that can be fixed with a pic rail if your gun allows it.

Id throw in the Vortex Viper HSLR as well 4x16x44 or 50 for around $350 when they go on sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse. Honesty for the warranty and the quality of glass with the dead hold BDC, it’s a hell of a deal.

Burris Fulfield is also another very good glass for the price. Better than Vortex Diamondback by far. Has other crosshairs and a red dot. 2.5x10x40 (I think) for around $200 at Cabelas. That’s on my wife’s rifle and she likes it. I just didn’t like the eye relief but that can be fixed with a pic rail if your gun allows it.
I'd have to disagree. Having had a Viper and a Razor HD LH, and having had zero retention issues, they are not something I could recommend.

The warranty is worthless if you find out you have issues on day 3 of a 7 day elk hunt.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree. Having had a Viper a Razor HD LH, and having had zero retention issues, they are not something I could recommend.

The warranty is worthless if you find out you have issues on day 3 of a 7 day elk hunt.
Dunno what to say. I’ve had their cheap Crossfires and I could overlap bullets. Two of them in fact. One right now is on my muzzy for load development, the other I sold to a forum member on here. I’ve also heard of Vortex overnighting optics to hunters in towns nearby during their hunt. Obviously, don’t know all the circumstances to those stories but that’s what I was told.

Contrary to such, this forum does have a lot of horror stories about Vortex. I often do feel like public enemy #1 when I do mention them.

Maybe I’m just lucky. I’ve drawn a lot of tags this year!

Dunno what to say. I’ve had their cheap Crossfires and I could overlap bullets. Two of them in fact. One right now is on my muzzy for load development, the other I sold to a forum member on here. I’ve also heard of Vortex overnighting optics to hunters in towns nearby during their hunt. Obviously, don’t know all the circumstances to those stories but that’s what I was told.

Contrary to such, this forum does have a lot of horror stories about Vortex. I often do feel like public enemy #1 when I do mention them.

Maybe I’m just lucky. I’ve drawn a lot of tags this year!
I'm glad you've had good experiences. What I saw wasn't confidence inspiring. I paid $750 for a used NF SHV and it has been absolutely rock solid.

Even if they overnight a scope to you, you are basically losing 2 days of your hunt, by the time you get a new one. And how often are you going to find out you have a problem without taking a shot at an animal? I check zero on arriving to hunt, but certainly not daily. It then becomes a thing where how often are you going to check zero? After every time you drive on a rough forest service road?

Others can do as they see fit, but it's just not a variable I want to introduce.

I'm glad you've had good experiences. What I saw wasn't confidence inspiring. I paid $750 for a used NF SHV and it has been absolutely rock solid.

Even if they overnight a scope to you, you are basically losing 2 days of your hunt, by the time you get a new one. And how often are you going to find out you have a problem without taking a shot at an animal? I check zero on arriving to hunt, but certainly not daily. It then becomes a thing where how often are you going to check zero? After every time you drive on a rough forest service road?

Others can do as they see fit, but it's just not a variable I want to introduce.
I'm glad I just blissfully go hunting with the scopes I have and don't worry about them losing zero on a FS road. mtmuley

I'm glad I just blissfully go hunting with the scopes I have and don't worry about them losing zero on a FS road. mtmuley
I honestly hope you have no issues. I fixed the issue for myself and I don't worry about it either.

@Djfan ,

I have multiple lower priced scopes on my rifles.
Like anything else, if you take care of it, it will last a long time. (I honestly don't know what people do that they keep having to send scopes back in for warranty repair! I have never had a scope "failure"!)

The Vortex Crossfire II is a decent scope for the money! I have 2 of these.
Equal to the Diamondback series at half the cost.
Only issue I have with the Vortex scopes is they tend to flare out easier than other scopes.

Sightron, you get a lot for what you pay. I have 3 of these.
An SI, a STAC, and a SIII.
Really decent, bright glass. Hold well, and not bad in lower light levels.

Burris Full field, I have 3 of these.
For $200 or slightly less they are really hard to beat.
Only issues I have with them is that there will be one knob that is stiffer than the others.
At low light levels, it's really hard to find the reticle.

Crimson Trace, I have 3 now.
The Brushline & Brushline Pro both have a BDC reticle available.
With the Japanese glass, now you are getting into really good optics!!
All the controls operate smoothly.
The least prone to flaring out vs the other scopes mentioned.
Really decent low light capabilities.
If your looking for an MOA reticle, their 3-9 Hardline can be had for right around $200.

Back