Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Oryx Question ?

Trigger50

Gonna apply for the WSMR Oryx tag for the 1st time. What's your thoughts on Rhodes Canyon verses Stallion Range ? I like the idea of going for the late hunts for cooler weather, but are the animals really spooky by the last couple hunts? I'm leaning away from hiring a guide if I can get a friend or 2 to come along. What's your thoughts on the guide thing? I'm really dont care how big an Oryx I get, bull or cow. This is why I'm leaning away from hiring a guide. Thanks for your thoughts.

I had the Jan hunt on the stallion range. Had a great time, easy to kill one. Wish I could do it again.
Jay

I have been on range in October (my friends OIL)and March(my hunt) I didn't notice a difference In the animals behavior. They were really spooky on both hunts. I don't think you can go wrong with either the stallion or Rhodes. We went unguided and both killed oryx. I wouldn't go guided but the only thing that would be nice about having a guide is their ability to judge the size of an animal. That being said I still wouldn't hire a guide. Shoot, if you draw out and you need an extra set of eyes and an extra back to pack one out I would be happy to tag along. I really enjoy hunting them any chance I get.

Andy

At around 3 to 4 percent draw odds, I'm not sure it matters much. I keep applying, but I'm not making any plans anytime soon.

If you draw let me know. The hunts are a blast and I'm right here close by. I'd love to tag along and help out and we've always got a spare room if you're passing through town.

The best info I have received on this very questions has come from my taxidermist buddies. They have done a lot more business during and after Rhodes Canyon hunts the past few years than they have during any of the recent Stallion hunts. My personal experience has also been that I see many more trophy animals on Rhodes than Stallion. There is a lot of conjecture out there, but I also seem to see more broken horned and immature animals on the Stallion than I do on Rhodes. The old cull hunt days are long gone, but as I've said many times, if you are a half decent hunter and not afraid to walk, you should kill a decent animal on whichever hunt you draw. There are always a couple of world class giants on both portions of the range, but they are typically taken away from the roads and in the foothills...(cat out of the bag). Glass, glass, glass and move until you find animals. There are plenty to be found on both portions of the range, but Rhodes would be my first choice if I could do my OIL hunt over again. If Stallion gets some good rains and has a couple of mild winters I think it will turn back on.

-Cody's .02

That said, it seems that the largest "on range" animal killed last year was taken on the Stallion. These critters are spooky all the time so you can plan on hunting them like public land antelope that get road hunted and shot over quite a bit.

no guide needed especially if you are not trophy hunting. the hunt is fun enough you will have no problem getting volunteers.

In my limited experience on the Stallion Range I can tell you this. I have hunted it 3 times, twice about 10 years ago and again last year. The difference between then and now is shocking. 10 years ago you would easily see 100 Oryx a day just from the road and many more if you hiked a little bit. Most of the Oryx were intact and you could literally look over dozens of Oryx before pulling the trigger. I joined my buddy on the September hunt last year and it was considerably different. In two days we saw probably 100+ Oryx, however I would have to say that at least 70% were broken. I spotted a group of 48 Oryx and in that group only 3 were intact. Another group of 13 had all 13 broken off. Most of the intact Oryx were alone or in small groups. We did spot a group of 9 that were all intact but they were in the Trinity Site boundary and off limits. 10 years ago there were 150+ tags, Last year there were about 45 Premier tags and another 20 or so Broken Horn and returning veteran tags and it seemed like there was more pressure last year because everyone was chasing the same Oryx. Haven't been to Rhodes Canyon, but I would not recommend Stallion to any of my friends. In my opinion they need to drastically thin out the Broken Horn Oryx. Still a fun hunt though. Good Luck.

Don't know how true it is, but I read a reason behind all the broken horns. IIRC the poster stated that they had an extended cold spell a year or so back that killed the inner part of the horn. Once dead they are much more prone to breaking. I have no idea if this is true or not, but considering where the animals come from that explanation as least seems plausible.

Thanks for the advice guys. I know my odds are slim, but every yr that I can swing the $1600 to apply I will. I told my wife I gotta start doing some of this stuff before I get too old. If I draw, I will definitely be looking for more advice etc.. Good Luck to everyone on the spring lotterys! :D

Man, that is a lot of money for the app now. I am sure glad that I killed them when it was cheap and I lived there. Each of the three that I killed cost me $41 and some gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back