MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Oryx mounts and hides (pics please)

I wouldn't say common. Mostly on high fenced operations.
So it seems that they are free range in NM, but high fenced in TX?

A couple years ago I was in south Texas and after talking to some people they said that things can be fenced but get a good flood that washes out some fences, and the exotics seem to migrate whether land owners like it or not.......

...Not trying to be dumb, but those that have hunted both African, and North American, what is the difference in hair??
Probably because of the generally colder winters, North American animals like deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, sheep, and caribou have hollow hair that helps to insulate them from the friged winter temperatures. Our other animals like bears, canines, cats, buffalo, and Muskox grow a thick under fur to help insulate them in winter. Even our domestic stock like horses and cattle grow thick winter coats.

The African animals don't experience the bitter Norht American temperatures, so their hair is not as thick and they don't have the under fur that our animals have.

Here’s mine from last year. I was “un“lucky enough to arrive in Texas when the big cold front hit. No electricity or food for 3 days. I lived on jerky and a bag of chips I had in my truck.

Attachments

• 31C8B3C2-CB48-4C75-AA0D-5D45C57ED0A6.jpeg
    31C8B3C2-CB48-4C75-AA0D-5D45C57ED0A6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 02F18C8A-43A6-4B67-A88B-E60605A7CA63.jpeg
    02F18C8A-43A6-4B67-A88B-E60605A7CA63.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
@buffybr have you ever done any hides? Looks like the two from Africa are straight horned but the ones in TX are a different type? Curved horned?

Again, a rookie question since I have never hunted them, but is the curved mainly in TX, and the straight horned a part of the off range/range hunts in NM?

@buffybr have you ever done any hides? Looks like the two from Africa are straight horned but the ones in TX are a different type? Curved horned?

Again, a rookie question since I have never hunted them, but is the curved mainly in TX, and the straight horned a part of the off range/range hunts in NM?
The only hides that I have done are the ones that I mentioned earlier. Many hides are pretty, but they take up a lot of room which I don't have.

All Oryx originated in Africa, and depending on where you look, there are 4 to 6 subspecies of Oryx. Only the Scimitar horned oryx have the curved horns, and they have a paler face and are white and brown instead of white and black. The name Gemsbok was given to the Oryx in South Africa when the Europeans arrived there in the 1800s. Both males and females have horns. The male's horns are thicker, and the female horns are often longer than those of the males.

The oryx in New Mexico are dependents of the South African Gemsbok. The Scimitar horned oryx in Texas were originally from North Africa where their population actually became extinct but was brought back from animals from Texas. The Texas animals are mostly on private ranches and are doing very well.

Gemsbuck is by far the best eating red meat I've yet put in my mouth. Unbelievable. I can't speak for the North American animals but South African gemsbuck are quite wary, even those on farms. Sable and waterbuck maybe not so much. Gemsbuck often run with zebra which makes them even tougher to hunt. Zebra are very spooky! Gemsbuck are flatland critters so not very adroit at climbing or jumping (a low fence will keep them in). In spite of their wild coloration, they are very good at hiding and escaping in cover. They're tough and can be onery (see videos of them taking on lions). If one is down, make sure it is dead before approaching. I double tapped mine very quickly incoming at fifteen yards and then broadside at twelve yards both shots through the heart at full gallop. With a chuckle my PH said maybe I should give them a chance to fall over. I responded the lodge owner said they were dangerous and that one was flying well inside my comfort zone. "Right you are!"

The only hides that I have done are the ones that I mentioned earlier. Many hides are pretty, but they take up a lot of room which I don't have.

All Oryx originated in Africa, and depending on where you look, there are 4 to 6 subspecies of Oryx. Only the Scimitar horned oryx have the curved horns, and they have a paler face and are white and brown instead of white and black. The name Gemsbok was given to the Oryx in South Africa when the Europeans arrived there in the 1800s. Both males and females have horns. The male's horns are thicker, and the female horns are often longer than those of the males.

The oryx in New Mexico are dependents of the South African Gemsbok. The Scimitar horned oryx in Texas were originally from North Africa where their population actually became extinct but was brought back from animals from Texas. The Texas animals are mostly on private ranches and are doing very well.
@buffybr Thanks a ton for the detailed explanation!!

Gemsbuck is by far the best eating red meat I've yet put in my mouth. Unbelievable. I can't speak for the North American animals but South African gemsbuck are quite wary, even those on farms. Sable and waterbuck maybe not so much. Gemsbuck often run with zebra which makes them even tougher to hunt. Zebra are very spooky! Gemsbuck are flatland critters so not very adroit at climbing or jumping (a low fence will keep them in). In spite of their wild coloration, they are very good at hiding and escaping in cover. They're tough and can be onery (see videos of them taking on lions). If one is down, make sure it is dead before approaching. I double tapped mine very quickly incoming at fifteen yards and then broadside at twelve yards both shots through the heart at full gallop. With a chuckle my PH said maybe I should give them a chance to fall over. I responded the lodge owner said they were dangerous and that one was flying well inside my comfort zone. "Right you are!"
@OntarioHunter I have heard the same thing from so many people.

Was lucky enough to draw this year, off range, not an easy hunt but treated like a MT elk hunt and was successful on day 5. Was only the second legal oryx we had seen. Wednesday started with my wife spotting an off range oryx and a buddy and I proceeding with a 6.5 hour stalk turned track taking us 4.1 miles as the crow flies. Wound up with a very fast 24 yard shot as it stood up. I was leaning towards a euro given its a younger bull but my wife likes the clown face so going to get shoulder mount done. Also skinned out the tail for a fly swatter! Meat is delicious, little tougher than I was expecting but flavor is great. Amazing this opportunity to hunt free range African game unguided exists in the US where you can keep the meat!
A657A364-A92B-425D-9F7A-036B2651F076.jpeg4407C328-E0F9-406B-B7E1-AFAB0503D6AD.jpeg

I like the pedestal that my oryx is mounted on, but I do wish I'd have used one that included inserts from the hide. Here are a couple pics and a link to my oryx hunt.
IMG-0790.JPGDSC_6490.JPG

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back