Oryx mounts and hides (pics please)

WNC2500

Since I have been on HT, i have really enjoyed reading and seeing both pictures in the field, as well as mounts after the taxidermy has been done. Over the last couple years I have seen Oryx killed by @Brentc, @nmassey, @bigsky2, just to name a few. Hope I did not leave anyone out, but if I did, show me on this thread. Oryx is one of the hunts I would love to do if able to in NM.

Do you mind showing me pictures from hunts, and then pictures on the wall, either normal mounts, or euro mounts. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to checking them out. Also, I have never tanned any hides and would be interested if anyone has.

Last edited:
They make nice euros or mounts. The euro is an old 34 inch bull from Namibia. They sit flat against the wall and look great. The first mount is a 39.5 inch cow I did at a taxidermy school, also killed in Namibia. The other is a 36 inch bull done by an actually good taxidermist....also Namibia. My first African hunt package had 3 gemsbok....two "culls" and a trophy. I thought they were all neat.
IMG_20220305_230726534.jpgIMG_20220305_230755597_HDR.jpgIMG_20220305_230810710.jpg

I shot my first Gemsbok on my first South African hunt back in 2000, then another with longer horns on a South African hunt in 2007.
lKkP0r2m.jpg
0tteNKHm.jpg

And they now hold a spot in one corner of my Trophy Room...
4jue9bfm.jpg

In 2010 I went with a couple of friends to the Hill country of West Texas and this Scimitar Horned Oryx was one of the first animals that I shot with my then new .300 Weatherby, and he became one of my first pedestal mounts on this pedestal that I made out of cherry wood.
Sv4iequm.jpg
Irn6wJ3m.jpg

Sorry, no pics onthe ground. Couldn’t take a camera 20 yrs on White Sands. 34 inch cow shot with 5 minutes left of 1 day hunt.

Attachments

• 2B07CA45-4E11-4DD1-9650-4903CA7C15FA.jpeg
    2B07CA45-4E11-4DD1-9650-4903CA7C15FA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
They make nice euros or mounts. The euro is an old 34 inch bull from Namibia. They sit flat against the wall and look great. The first mount is a 39.5 inch cow I did at a taxidermy school, also killed in Namibia. The other is a 36 inch bull done by an actually good taxidermist....also Namibia. My first African hunt package had 3 gemsbok....two "culls" and a trophy. I thought they were all neat.
View attachment 214352View attachment 214353View attachment 214354
I like the euro mounts. They are beautiful creatures. Have any of you done anything with hides?

I like the euro mounts. They are beautiful creatures. Have any of you done anything with hides?
I believe one of the "fur rugs" on the floor of my room at the lodge during first trip was gemsbuck. Though the gemsbuck (oryx) face has a lot of pattern, its backskin is rather unremarkable for an African antelope. Barely any mane with just a faint dark line down the back to tail. I don't see those hides used for much. But look at the competition: kudu, nyala, bushbuck, wildebeest, springbuck, zebra. Those animals have spectacular coloration.

I have never gotten any hides done but have considered doing that in the future. Just seem beautiful.

I have never gotten any hides done but have considered doing that in the future. Just seem beautiful.
Gemsbuck do not have hollow hair like most of our North American ungulate species. Its fur hide would hold up much better. Hollow hair breaks too easily. The rug on the floor of my room at the lodge seemed to wear well. I believe gemsbuck fur hide would make an attractive and fairly durable soft gun case or throw over the back of a couch.

Yes, many wild animals are beautiful creatures. I've always enjoyed seeing them.

I didn't start hunting until I was in college. I shot my first deer while hunting with one of my college roommates. I was so proud of that little spike buck that I put his horns on my bedroom wall. The next season, again hunting with my roommate, I shot my first elk. Again, I put his 5x5 antlers on my bedroom wall. These were not quite euro mounts, but they were all that I could afford.

As my interests in hunting grew, I began covering my walls of pictures of game animals. Many of these pictures were from Remington hunting calendars. Later, I began buying Nancy Glaizer Artist Proof prints and hanging them in my house. But then as my hunting interests expanded beyond my home states of Colorado and Montana, I began hunting many different and beautiful animals from beyond my home borders. I then came to the point that I was hunting the animals that I had only dreamed about, and now I could have the real animals on my walls instead of just pictures of them.

Like WNC2500 and others have posted, these are beautiful creatures, and much of their beauty is in the coloring and markings of their hides. The gemsbok is a perfect example of this: the contrasting white and black markings on their face is much more beautiful than just the white bone of their skull.

As to doing anything with just the hides, I've had the hair-on hide of my first 6x6 bull elk on my wall for over 50 years. It completely covers one wall of my reloading room. With it's hollow hair, it would be quickly ruined if it was on the floor. I also have two African Springbok and a New Zealand Possum hides hanging the back of the couch in my Trophy Room. I also have a bear rug of my first black bear hanging on one of the walls of the stairwell going up to my bedroom. Animal rugs and skins take up a lot of wall space, something that I am loosing fast.

I did bring home the back skins of the Sable antelopes and Zebra that I shot in Africa. I made pedestals for the mounts of these animals, and I incorporated the back skins in the pedestals.
jcaoCIbl.jpg
rrwxk61l.jpg

Oryx mount2.jpg
This is the pose I wanted. The taxidermist I went to said he couldn't get the exact form and I ended up with a harder turn and the ears were laid back instead of forward. I'm still happy with mine but I like this one better. I didn't specify the ear position either so I can't fault him for that.
Oryx mount.jpg

Got this one on a ranch here. Wasn't much of a hunt, but I had a good time. It soaked up a shot out of a .300 RUM and still ran a couple hundred yards.

DSC_2559.JPG

DSC_3438.JPG
DSC_3439.JPG

Then the next year in 2015 my son and I were drawn for a broken horn oryx hunt at Mason Mountain WMA.

This is my son's DSC_4327.JPG

And here is mine. No field pics on mine.

DSC_4331.JPG

We did euro mounts on both of those. Didn't get pictures of them mounted.

Gemsbuck do not have hollow hair like most of our North American ungulate species. Its fur hide would hold up much better. Hollow hair breaks too easily. The rug on the floor of my room at the lodge seemed to wear well. I believe gemsbuck fur hide would make an attractive and fairly durable soft gun case or throw over the back of a couch.
@OntarioHunter That is what I was thinking in regards to throwing over the back of the couch. That would be beautiful for sure. @buffybr mentioned the contrasting colors, and they seem to look great.
Not trying to be dumb, but those that have hunted both African, and North American, what is the difference in hair??

Got this one on a ranch here. Wasn't much of a hunt, but I had a good time. It soaked up a shot out of a .300 RUM and still ran a couple hundred yards.

View attachment 214512

View attachment 214513
View attachment 214514

Then the next year in 2015 my son and I were drawn for a broken horn oryx hunt at Mason Mountain WMA.

This is my son's View attachment 214515

View attachment 214516

That last scimitar’s daddy must have been a barbado sheep. Never seen one like that.

View attachment 214512

View attachment 214513
View attachment 214514

This is my son's View attachment 214515

View attachment 214516

Jabber, are they pretty common in TX?

View attachment 214510
This is the pose I wanted. The taxidermist I went to said he couldn't get the exact form and I ended up with a harder turn and the ears were laid back instead of forward. I'm still happy with mine but I like this one better. I didn't specify the ear position either so I can't fault him for that.
View attachment 214511
@bigsky2 You are right, the ears point forward are cool looking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back