Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Oryx hunting in NM

Delw

I havent been following everything lately so Just fill me in with the basics.

What does a tag cost?
were do you get them?
I know its a drawing but when is the season or do they have many?
is it possible to get a hunt this year?

I have to go and kill one of these things, My son and youngest daughter wants to go as well. ( there in better shape than I am.)

2nd amendment you know the skinny on these hunts can you fill me in?

Delw

There are on range (White Sands Missle Range) and off-range hunts. On range hunts are in 3 different areas. They are two day hunts starting Aug and going through March. 12 total hunts I believe. Tag is $1600 plus $150 to the base for access if you draw. Drawing is earlier than all other NM hunts. IIRC the app period is January with the deadline around first week of Feb. Total odds represent a roughly 1 in 10 chance to draw. The off range hunts I don't know much about other than it is harder to do as you really need to know where they are, have a local help you, or pay for access to private land. 2nd amendnment can take it from here....

Del,

MN hunter gave you some good info. You are to late for the '09 hunts, but you can put in for the '10 hunts. The drawing is held the first week in February. You can also purchase a private land voucher, to hunt anytime of the year, but these bad boys go for around $2500 above the cost of the license. Lots of youth hunts that are not once in a lifetime.

Just got in from trying to find a couple offrange. Didn't see any this afternoon, but the darn wind is blowing 40 mph +.

Put in for them, they are a blast to hunt. Those darn Idaho boys have me on a diet so that I can actually help pack out the next one.

The seasons for them are kind of complicated. The once in a lifetime hunts are weekend hunts, and are offered at various times of the year. The most fun hunts are the offrange, which are a month long (for each tag) and are held year around. We saw 22 yesterday morning off the range, and two yesterday afternoon. Gonna go back after them in the morning.

so for all the hunts you were just talking about I need to put in in Feb.? those include the off range ones?

a private land hunt is $2500? and you just get a 1600 licence plus the $2500?

My one daughter is 8 my son is 15 with down syndrom. he wants to shoot an animal so bad he can taste it, its all he talks about, but it would have to be on my tag cause he is going to have to sit on my lap when he pulls the trigger. he is only like 3 feet tall. but he knows how to shoot thanks to the wii games. That might not go with the NMG&F dept.

Sounds like a blast I will put in next year forsure.

Thanks for the help you 2

Yes to all of the above. Actually your son would qualify for a tag, and in the state of NM, handicap permits are allowed to shoot from the vehicle. NMG&F are very progressive when it comes to accomodations such as that. As a matter of fact, if your son puts in and gets a tag, it would be no trouble to talk to the range master and the head of the G&F department and make special arrangements.

Oh yeah?
now that would be cool. he wont need to shoot form a vehicle . I Just need to carry the gun for him and load it and place it. he can do the scope and trigger no problem but I may need to help him a tad and if he was to wound one I would have to finish it off.
he would be good with a bi-pod on the 300win mag or the 280
who would I talk to at the game and fish dept.?

My only other legal option is to take him to texas to hunt something. ( I have plenty of non legal ways like using my tag for him)
He loves to hunt and walk around, the last 2 years he has been wanting something for the wall like his older sister has and I have.
he won't pass a hunters safety course so thats a tricky one also.

you know if it wasnt for those wii games I would have never thought he could hunt with a gun, he understands how to line up crosshairs on animals and knows were to shoot them(vitals). he understands safety and not to point guns in the direction of people. he is actually smarter than shit, for someone with a mental hadicap
he's 15 but he is just over 3 foot tall as you can see in the picture.

Attachments

• img_1590a.jpg
    img_1590a.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 196
Thanks a bunch.

if you dont get one and hunting next week let me know I might take a drive out there, I can do the packing Nm isnt that far and it will give me something to do plus I wanna check the area out.

The hunters safety certificate may be your biggest problem. I think everyone hunting on White Sands, must have a valid hunters safety card. You might have to look off range.

Del,

We have seen 64 so far offrange, the kids just haven't been able to connect yet. The kids' tags run the whole month of April, my tag is good for the whole month of July. You are more than welcome to come over and tag along anytime you want to, or if you end up in this area when a hunt is not going on, I would be glad to show you around. LOTS of jackrabbits and 'yotes for the young 'uns to shoot.

cool,
I am taking him and his little sister to fish a tourny this weekend, and adult one, I am just going to drive the boat for the 2 kids who think they can beat everyone LOL.

We will hook up for sure just to shoot jacks and yotes, in the next month or less and I want to check that country out as well.

Thanks man.
Delw

Between him and Dani, that would give him bragging rights as to who has more bone on the wall, which he would probably enjoy.

Back