ORTHOTICS: SELL ME ON THEM?

Last job I had I was on my feet for ten hours or more a day. After fifteen years of it I had surgery on both feet for PF..I have tried every insole there is. The custom ones I got after the surgery were ok, but the Dr. Scholls custom fit are just as good.

I have both and find the off the shelf super feet are what works best for me.

Custom ones are always too thick and don’t fit inside a boot.

Custom orthotics and off the shelf are complete different products. I wore custom orthotics for many years. I had really bad feet, bone spurs, flat feet and had serious ankle problems ( later on having my ankle fused. Custom Orthotics are very still and designed to change pressure points and perhaps the foot bed itself. I wore mine for 10 years and it gave me back an arch, small but at least now I have one. I no longer need them and wear super feet in all my boots now including ski boots. If your podiatrist tells you to get custom ones I would consider it. For me, I dont think I would be walking, running, hiking and skiing and doing what I do without wearing them 30 years ago. I bet they are better now then when I wore them. It takes time to get used to them, but then you'll never go without once you do.

I have very flat feet, grew up with custom orthotics. Honestly, I use factory insoles now. I just shopped around until I found the ones that fit my feet. In my boots I have Spenco RX insoles, in my shoes I need lower volume, so use Superfeet Flexthin. Both work great.

I have both and find the off the shelf super feet are what works best for me.

Custom ones are always too thick and don’t fit inside a boot.
As I aged from 50 to mid 60s my feet flattened and boot size went from size 12 to size 14.
One winter my feet hurt from the heel thru the arch a couple hours after each hike.
I paid $400 for custom orthotics. While waiting for the order, my podiatrist had me wear super feet green.
Now a days, I wear super feet green in all my boots (hiking, cross-country skiing, etc) and the custom orthotics are in the drawer.
I average 30-50 miles per week hiking and my feet feel great using super feet green.

The best ones I’ve found are PowerStep ArchMolds. More comfortable for me than Super Feet. They seem to help with foot/calf fatigue and offer a little more stability. Most of the ones that come with boots and shoes seem pretty cheaply made.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back