Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Oregon Whitehorse deer rifle

I put in for 168B with the idea I'd get a point. I only had one point saved. I didn't really plan on hunting there. I just looked at the harvest report and the 1st choice picks and picked it. Last year rifle season produced 41% success. The forums I've read all say don't bother, or only try for muzzleloader. At this point I'm committed to the hunt and kind of looking forward to seeing the area. I have never been in the south east corner of the state before so it should be a cool vacation. Has anyone on here hunted that area and had success?

My girlfriends Brother lives in Idaho about an hour and a half from there. He's pretty excited for me. Thinks it should be good. Looking at satellite pics I will definitely follow the valleys that either hold water or have green still in them. Lots of sitting and glassing. 274 other fart-knockers will be up there. I have a feeling I'll be able to avoid them. I do have an Idaho tag too. Regs over there are a little tricky. No more than 2 pts on one side. I read it and thought it was 2 or more but it isn't. I might just avoid Idaho on this leg unless I can see over the border and have nothing on my side. We've got a hunt planned at the end of October in central Idaho that should be more productive.
Hopefully it's not all crazy with dirtbikers....

Not a lot of deer but have seen some respectable bucks on the east side of the unit. Find water or guzzlers as it can be dry.

Back