Oregon Spring Bear

2rocky

Got a text this morning from my hunting buddy. "Looks like we are hunting bear in Oregon"

My first Spring Bear Tag. I've had Fall tags in CA and a few close calls but no dice.

Will probably be a banzai 4 day weekend trip "High Speed and Low Drag" in April...

Idaho came out today and no dice for me. I drew unit 32 in Idaho and struck out. I am going to do the ID general spring bear.. If anyone knows anything about unit 19, 18 or 33 let me know... Looking for spot and stalk.

Didn't draw my SW tag. I've heard that there was a 37% increase in applications this year.

Got a text this morning from my hunting buddy. "Looks like we are hunting bear in Oregon"

My first Spring Bear Tag. I've had Fall tags in CA and a few close calls but no dice.

Will probably be a banzai 4 day weekend trip "High Speed and Low Drag" in April...
Good luck out there this year!

I was drawn Spring Bear Oregon, and I've never put much time into bear hunting at all, crossed paths a few times in WA and VT usually in Archery season.

Hammer down!

I did not draw (as expected). Two of my kids did draw Mt Emily-Walla Walla, one expected and one unexpected. Looking forward to a family trip in early/mid May. We generally see bears in our area, but the challenge is finding bears in accessible locations.

QQ

QQ. Well it had been a mild winter with a light snow load. That has changed. Hasn’t quit snowing in over a week. I’m at 3500 feet and have 40 inches on the ground. Get a hold of me before you come over scouting I’’ be happy to let you know where and how high I’ve been able to get in. I’ll be poking around quite a bit as I need to get five cords of wood cut before I head north for the summer. Been seeing some big bears on the Walla Walla side. One of my fishing guides took a nice bear last fall on that side. Tanned hide is 6’03” nose to tail.

Attachments

• 7303411F-5BAD-4BC8-AEEF-96384522A2AB.jpeg
    7303411F-5BAD-4BC8-AEEF-96384522A2AB.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 718DBC4F-FF49-43A0-918E-691A48B678A5.jpeg
    718DBC4F-FF49-43A0-918E-691A48B678A5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 3CB73E87-CD72-4551-B3F1-EE365BDF8501.jpeg
    3CB73E87-CD72-4551-B3F1-EE365BDF8501.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 28

Good luck on your hunt!

Sw tag here. The last 3 evenings I have hunted have seen a bear every night. Tricky situations on all resulting in 4 missed shots :( The wind in the canyons and super steep downhill shots are brutal. Good luck to all I predict I get mine by Saturday, found my ideal spot, and know right where a bruiser comes out and feeds an hour before dark. Really fun hunt after the 5 days it took me to find where the bears are!

...as long as you're not applying for the same unit as my family. ;)

My wife and son should be assured of drawing their tags. My dad, uncle, and other son are probably 50-50ish to draw. Two tags in camp would be fun. Five tags might actually be a bit much.

QQ

Applied for the first time this year, goHunt said that my odds were about 72% for the SW Blue Mtns tag, if I draw great, if not at least I'll have a point and will be on the look out this fall for bears. For those of you that went last year, were you guys successful or see many bears?

Back