Yeti GOBOX Collection

Oregon Sheep Odds

wtrfwlhunter

Obviously they are horrible, but does anybody know where the data is about how many people applied? I can’t seem to dig it up.

Nice thing is, no points! Everyone has the same shitty odds.

They also have a Super Tag hunt for sheep, worth throwing in a few bucks for that too.

Last edited:
Obviously they are horrible, but does anybody know where the data is about how many people applied? I can’t seem to dig it up.

Some of the sheep hunts have been changed for this year, so it’ll be a little more challenging to figure out relative odds for those new hunt codes. Are you a resident?

They're pretty simple to figure in Oregon. No point system. If you're a non-resident it req's you to but the hunting license to apply.

Like other have said, the number of past years applicants are annotated right beside the designated tags for the hunt. The private land dominated hunts are highlighted. Many of the John Day Cali hunts have significantly better odds than the sole rocky tag on public land.

When it comes to figuring odds, I'd venture to say there's no place easier to figure them, than Oregon Sheep and Goat.

ODFW Bighorn Sheep Regulations

Actually, some of the NR odds aren't all that much worse than residents, but there are only a handful of tags. The John Day system hunts say "NEW" but they just merged the east and west sides of the river together. So you could figure your rough odds by adding the NR apps from last year's hunts. ODFW has also generally increased the length of the hunts across the board for sheep and mountain goats, a good thing.

As someone mentioned, the Lookout herd has an ongoing pneumonia outbreak associated with Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae. Those hunts are cancelled, and were the most sought after tags in the state. It's where the auction and raffle tag holders usually harvest their rams. That will likely decrease odds in other hunts this year. Those sheep are Rocky Mtn BHS that were sourced from Wildhorse Island in Montana.

The odds are of course low but one year a friend of mine decided to put in for a tag, never having applied for one before. He got it. So it does happen.

The odds are of course low but one year a friend of mine decided to put in for a tag, never having applied for one before. He got it. So it does happen.

My dad drew in OR. Third time applying for any big game license. I apply in 5 or 6 states... but I got to go on a sheep hunt and watch my dad shoot a nice old ram.

ive been trying now for over 20 yrs as a resident,,strait up draw on ore sheep and goat,,havnt drawn 1 yet,,who knows,maybe this will be the year.

Back