Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Oregon Seceding?

I'm all for it, I hope they split California into 5-6 states or whatever was on the table a while back too. I also hope to witness the giant earthquake that either drops the West Coast into the pacific or turns it into an island, they taught about it in school when I was a kid, and if I don't see it before I die I will be sorely disappointed in my teachers.

I'm all for it, I hope they split California into 5-6 states or whatever was on the table a while back too. I also hope to witness the giant earthquake that either drops the West Coast into the pacific or turns it into an island, they taught about it in school when I was a kid, and if I don't see it before I die I will be sorely disappointed in my teachers.

"The last Cascadia Subduction Zone event—Magnitude 8.0 to 9.1—was January 26, 1700, and they happen about every 280 to 350 years. It’s time to get ready. .... The Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake will cause heavy damage to our water and sewer systems, rendering them unusable for weeks, months or years."

Do you also root for the rapid coming of the inevitable explosion of the Yellowstone cauldron that will wipe out the mountain states?

Oh definitely, I'd love for the doomsayers to get a win, I'm a 'root for the underdog' kind of guy and I feel bad for them.

Geez man, I hope in 2019 you weren't also rooting for an international virus lab leak outbreak from "raccoon dogs" lol

Oh definitely, I'd love for the doomsayers to get a win, I'm a 'root for the underdog' kind of guy and I feel bad for them.
The gallatin valley “reclaimed”. Greatest environmental success story of our time!!!

Maybe Idaho just wants to save some room for the Californians?
Not that I’m rooting for more Californians but it’s an Apple and Orange situation.

Californian buys a house here and pays taxes. Good. No money out of my pocket.

Idaho takes half the land of Oregon including schools, health care, roads, etc is a very large financial burden. Eastern Oregon is living off Portland. All I see is my taxes going up and the new Western Idahoans complaining about the reality of living in a poor state. There would be a lot of salary cuts for teachers and public workers.

Californian buys a house here and pays taxes. Good. No money out of my pocket.

Increased demand in real estate means increased prices. Some members had quite the lively debate about ski resort towns in Colorado and how people swooped in and made it unaffordable for locals.

Eventually increased real estate price increases the valuation at the state/county assessor's office. This results in increased property taxes, which is good and bad -- more taxes for things like schools.

If enough certain "Californians" show up in Idaho, your state turns purple, then maybe blue. Then your taxes get raised, anyway and you're paying for more social services that are perceived to be "required".

At least, that's how a lot of this happened in Oregon. Someone in S. California sells their modest 2000 square foot house for $1 mil, then buys a bigger, better house in Oregon for half the price. Eventually property taxes go up and up, and "new" voters vote for more and more "taxes".

Increased demand in real estate means increased prices. Some members had quite the lively debate about ski resort towns in Colorado and how people swooped in and made it unaffordable for locals.

Eventually increased real estate price increases the valuation at the state/county assessor's office. This results in increased property taxes, which is good and bad -- more taxes for things like schools.

If enough certain "Californians" show up in Idaho, your state turns purple, then maybe blue. Then your taxes get raised, anyway and you're paying for more social services that are perceived to be "required".

At least, that's how a lot of this happened in Oregon. Someone in S. California sells their modest 2000 square foot house for $1 mil, then buys a bigger, better house in Oregon for half the price. Eventually property taxes go up and up, and "new" voters vote for more and more "taxes".
I assume you support free markets, democracy, freedom of movement of all citizens, and free movement of capital. If so, such is the nature of affairs.

In terms of presidential and senate politics, I think we'll be there regardless, in another 10-20 years. It's hard to see Texas staying red for too much longer.
It is not clear that in 20 yrs the party lines will even remain the same. The current GOP is not the GOP of 1980 and the DEMs are not the DEMS of 1960. Party alignment is ever shifting.

It is not clear that in 20 yrs the party lines will even remain the same. The current GOP is not the GOP of 1980 and the DEMs are not the DEMS of 1960. Party alignment is ever shifting.
Agreed and good point. Part of me thinks that all it would take would be the more centrist portion of the GOP leaving, to peel off some moderate democrats and completely blow the system off kilter.

I assume you support free markets, democracy, freedom of movement of all citizens, and free movement of capital. If so, such is the nature of affairs.

Correct, I was pointing out how the free market (as modified) works. There are tangible and intangible costs (and benefits), though some costs are only realized a lot farther downstream.

Eventually property taxes go up and up, and "new" voters vote for more and more "taxes".
Huh? I assume part of the reason lot of people leave california is they want lower taxes. You are arguing they vote in higher taxes in their new locations? I would need some data showing that to be the case, because it seems unlikely.

My view is that if eastern OR wants to leave to join ID, I'm fine. But they have to become their own country. Cut them off from the Federal teat too. They also might want to get an idea on where their electricity comes from before the vote.

Correct, I was pointing out how the free market (as modified) works. There are tangible and intangible costs (and benefits), though some costs are only realized a lot farther downstream.
It’s still a huge variance between supporting Oregon and having Californians live here.

Californians have been coming to Idaho for decades. Republicans still have a supermajority plus whatever is Ammon Bundy. Legislature is currently voting to allow militias again.

My property taxes haven’t gone up much (wife says they went down last year). I actually get a benefit from higher property taxes as I might use the service, unlike paying for welfare Oregon. Plus I get the financial benefit of the rising housing prices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back