Oregon Seceding?

rjthehunter

there's always stuff like this going on. i can't imagine it will actually happen.

i remember not so long ago weld county wanted to secede and join wyoming. i was definitely down being a weld county resident.

but i feel like it really just is all a big political show in the end. doesn't congress have to approve stuff like this ultimately?

The Times had a much more in-depth piece about this a little while ago. Some takeaways:

"Success would require passage through the state legislatures in both states and in Congress..."

"Would people in eastern Oregon be ready to embrace a sales tax?"

"How would Idaho, which bans legal marijuana, manage eastern Oregon’s thriving weed industry?"

"How would the states transition eastern Oregon’s state employees, with some benefits already earned, to a new retirement system with different rules and compensation?"

It would be pretty funny to see all those people in the area suddenly have a bunch of bonus points that disappear if they became part of Idaho. The wildlife management implications alone would be a huge task

I already burned my 20+ years of elk points in Oregon so no big deal for me.

All the people just buying points every year instead of actually applying, would be upset but I’d guess many of them may not be residents.

If Eastern Oregon became part of Idaho, Idaho would first have to implement a recovery plan for big game animals in former Oregon. And prevent new Idahoans from all making a rush to real Idaho hunting territory.

Greater Idaho will never happen, so Idaho guys can keep their worry focused on Californians moving in and buying up property like outside of Moscow. But if it did happen, yes eastern Oregonians would prefer a sales tax over Oregon’s income tax.

Last edited:
They’d have to go to tri cities wa, or bend. Is Nevada legal for it? If so they could jet down to Winnemucca or some new store right on the Nevada border

I doubt the costal libs will let it happen, they always want more tax money.
Tons of states have this dynamic of large, liberal, urban populations and more conservative, rural folks who feel outnumbered in state politics (including my own). But, tax dollars are actually one of the things eastern Oregonians should be worried about. Those urban libs are the major contributors to all of the things tax dollars pay for and it would be a rude awakening for eastern Oregon to lose all those dollars, I'd bet... I think you've got this one kinda backwards.

Tons of states have this dynamic of large, liberal, urban populations and more conservative, rural folks who feel outnumbered in state politics (including my own). But, tax dollars are actually one of the things eastern Oregonians should be worried about. Those urban libs are the major contributors to all of the things tax dollars pay for and it would be a rude awakening for eastern Oregon to lose all those dollars, I'd bet... I think you've got this one kinda backwards.
I'm assuming the population density in Eastern Oregon is much lower than the Coastal part of the state. There's a lot of money where there's a lot of people and infrastructure.

True, for a while road maintenance would go downhill. But things like school curriculum and big game management might get better.

Oregon as a state ranks near the bottom or in the lower half of states in several social well-being categories. We're #37 in K-12 education.

Surprising, since Oregon pretends we're all enlightened, like a bunch of 18th century French philosophers -- but also apparently using way too many voter approved decriminalized drugs.

I'm assuming the population density in Eastern Oregon is much lower than the Coastal part of the state. There's a lot of money where there's a lot of people and infrastructure.
81% of the state's population lives along the I-5 corridor. As a person who grew up in Idaho, and lives in Oregon, if Idaho wants Eastern Oregon, just let us vote, and they'll get their wish...

81% of the state's population lives along the I-5 corridor. As a person who grew up in Idaho, and lives in Oregon, if Idaho wants Eastern Oregon, just let us vote, and they'll get their wish...

Or once (when/if) the Cascadia mega quake hits, geologists say Oregon from the coast to the I-5 corridor is going to be drastically changed, and devastated. Hopefully it never hits, but apparently we're on borrowed time. That would cause a natural rift between W and E Oregon. Maybe there would be "refugees" moving to E. Oregon. Let's hope we don't get to find out.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back