Oregon Elk hunt

Fields2211

Hey everyone, let me set the stage. I have always put in for tags in specific hunt units but this year I changed up my game. I looked at draw odds and harvest rates like always but one thing led to another and I ended up drawing a bull tag in the fossil unit (16% public land) as my second choice. The only time I have ever stepped foot in this unit is to fight fires (my profession). The unit is steep and nasty but known to have elk. But to top this all off I'm taking 3 guys with me, one of which has never hunted and the other 2 I've never hunted with. Typically I'm a solo hunter. So after all this I'm looking for help on how can I make this a great hunt for the group and be successful?

Its a good unit. I hunt next to it in Northside. My only advice is to make sure they are in mountain shape. Not what most consider good shape. You obviously are and thank you for your service. I live in wildfire area. I have hunted a few years ago with guys who say they are in great shape. They looked it. By far more muscular than me. I am in farmer shape. We found some elk in the bottom of a canyon. I told them we do not want to go down there, I will find them some other elk. They insisted and said we can do it. One was a new elk hunter. Against my better judgement we shot two. They ended up being the two biggest wussies I have ever seen. I packed 80% out. Almost had to pack one of them out. I used to do that crap in my 20's now just turning 50 I am smarter and wiser. Just make sure you know them and make sure they don't ruin your own hunt, unless your just in it for fun. I have found new hunters and some "experienced" ones to be the loudest ever. They seem to find every twig to step on, every tree branch to hit and cant take things slow. good luck!

So statistically, you will have beaten the odds if ONE of you gets an elk. So it has to be a team effort. You all have to have the same vision and you have to pull for each other 100% and be just as happy if one of the other guys gets an elk and you don't.

1) Does the new guy want to kill an elk or just experience hunting?
2) Are the other 3 of you willing to "guide him to an elk" and spend the rest of the hunt getting that elk out?
3) Does the new guy realize that if he tags out early he is now the camptender/pack mule/spotter?
4) Also if he doesn't have first shot does he know that?

As long as all 4 of you are on the same page, you can use your numbers and spread out to find elk. Then keep in contact when you do and the others go into support mode.

Whoa man...ur brave and not just cause you fight the fires. Thanks by the way. Going on a blind date hunting trip in rugged country. I would plan a nice camping fishing weekend with these guys sometime this summer to feel eachother out. I know nothing of the unit your hunting but good luck and like 2rocky said think of it as a team effort and your success and fun levels will be much higher.

I'm late on this thread, but how did the hunt go? Or is it later? My first elk hunt was in the John Day area - eastern OR.

Well we didn't do too bad. We filled one of 4 tags with a really nice bull. Most the locals we talked to said it was a bad year for the elk. That didn't stop us from going deep into areas most wouldn't and we did see a lot of cows but very few bulls.

Attachments

• FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 61
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back