Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Oregon Coast Bottom Fishing

smarandr

Had a little family reunion out on the Oregon coast last week, and my brother-in-law, my dad and I were able to sneak away for a few hours one day to do some fishing. None of us had ever been fishing on the ocean before so we set out on a bottom fishing excursion thinking it would be fun to catch something that wasn't a salmonid for once. We chartered a boat out of Depoe Bay early in the morning, and the Captain had us on some fish almost immediately. In fact the fishing was so good we had to clear off the spot or we all would have limited out within the first two hours. Over the course of the day we caught a lot of Black Rockfish, a couple of Yellowtail Rockfish and even a Lingcod that was too small to keep. We had so much fun I forgot to take any pictures until after the fillet crew was almost done. I think there was only one more in the bucket besides the two I'm holding.

https://goo.gl/photos/LAd8voSFXXh7GWnb6

whoops. forgot to attach the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20150628_105243360.jpg
    IMG_20150628_105243360.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 262
My brother in law lives in that area and swears by the fishing over there as well. Sounds like you had a great trip and some good eats to enjoy after !

Those bottom fish can sure provide some good eating. Last time I went through Depoe Bay I ate at the Sea Hag, it was so good I've been thinking of driving back just for the clam chowder. Congrats on the fish!

You can catch those off the Newport South Jetty at night with a fly rod or whatever. God way to pass the evening listening to seals bark.

Back