Options for trying on boots until you find one that fits...

stealthy_bowman

Just purchased a pair of boots from goHUNT for my son, but unfortunately I had to return them since they were too tight for him in the toe box. He'd like to try some others, but it cost me $36 to return just that one pair.
For those of you like me, that do not live anywhere near a place where you can try on a variety of boots, what do you do? Do you simply eat the return shipping and at the end may pay even double the boot cost until you finally find something that fits right? Or is there a dealer with an Amazon like return policy that you are using?

Just purchased a pair of boots from goHUNT for my son, but unfortunately I had to return them since they were too tight for him in the toe box. He'd like to try some others, but it cost me $36 to return just that one pair.
For those of you like me, that do not live anywhere near a place where you can try on a variety of boots, what do you do? Do you simply eat the return shipping and at the end may pay even double the boot cost until you finally find something that fits right? Or is there a dealer with an Amazon like return policy that you are using?
Idk how you went about returning these, but I know of several companies who claim to charge a return fee or automatically bill you if you go through the online return process, but if you call them and play stupid they’ll send you the return label for free. 🤷‍♂️

You must have a BP type store somewhere around you? REI? Find what size you wear 1st,for real. US or Euro size? In real hiking boots,not timberlands?
Also unless your son is a senior & almost done growing, don't spend a fortune on boots that will only fit one season.
Knowing my size in modern boots after trying on several brands @ an REI helped me know what to look for & ? to ask manufacturers.
Wear the socks you will wear when in use too...winter?summer? Make a big difference in size too.

I now have 2 pairs of Lowa's I bought on EB from folks who did not know their feet are 1/2 size too big or small.....1/2 price NIB.

JLS's is spot on. I would pay return fee over driving hundreds of miles several times for same results.

I ordered directly from Meindl USA. Ordered a D width but ended up still needing a EE despite the wider last that the Comfort Fit Hunter is built on.

They emailed me a return label. Super fast shipping and turnaround in all aspects.

I have since bought another pair of hikers from them.

Excellent customer service and a great product will get my business every time.

The Crisipi boots I ordered from go hunt I also ended up needing in an EE. I wore them for about 30 miles before I realized there was an issue with fit.

No returns since I had wore them outside. That is standard though and on me.

That pair of Crispi Guide GTX will be in the classifieds shortly. Replacing them with the same boot, except going uninsulated and in a wide.

Last edited:
If you want to stay with Gohunt, they have a video of how to properly size hunting boots. Your son will stand on some poster board in hunting socks while you trace the outline of his feet. Seams like a pain to me but without a retail store anywhere near you, you might want to go that route.

If you are a REI Member you can not only try them on, but wear them out hiking and take them back if they don't work. You won't find every brand there (such as Kenetrek or Hanwag), but they have enough higher grade stuff to fit the bill.

I once bought a pair of Keens from them and went on one hike and was sliding around. A week later I put on a different pair of socks and tried a different lacing technique and tried another 10mile hike. I knew thy wouldn't work. I literally stopped by REI on my drive home from the hike, gave them the shoes I was wearing, picked out a new pair in my sock feet, did the exchange and put the new pair on to drive home. Plus they actually gave me money back because the new pair were cheaper than the pair I brought in.

You must have a BP type store somewhere around you? REI? Find what size you wear 1st,for real. US or Euro size? In real hiking boots,not timberlands?
Also unless your son is a senior & almost done growing, don't spend a fortune on boots that will only fit one season.
Knowing my size in modern boots after trying on several brands @ an REI helped me know what to look for & ? to ask manufacturers.
Wear the socks you will wear when in use too...winter?summer? Make a big difference in size too.

I now have 2 pairs of Lowa's I bought on EB from folks who did not know their feet are 1/2 size too big or small.....1/2 price NIB.

JLS's is spot on. I would pay return fee over driving hundreds of miles several times for same results.
Yep, there's a REI about an hour away, but the selection is not what you would find in, for example, the Bozeman REI that's for sure.
Son just turned 17 so I figure new boots should last, hopefully anyway!

If you want to stay with Gohunt, they have a video of how to properly size hunting boots. Your son will stand on some poster board in hunting socks while you trace the outline of his feet. Seams like a pain to me but without a retail store anywhere near you, you might want to go that route.
We tried that...
I just sent them a note to see if they would exchange for a 1/2 size bigger once they receive my return. Not sure yet if they will.

If you are a REI Member you can not only try them on, but wear them out hiking and take them back if they don't work. You won't find every brand there (such as Kenetrek or Hanwag), but they have enough higher grade stuff to fit the bill.

I once bought a pair of Keens from them and went on one hike and was sliding around. A week later I put on a different pair of socks and tried a different lacing technique and tried another 10mile hike. I knew thy wouldn't work. I literally stopped by REI on my drive home from the hike, gave them the shoes I was wearing, picked out a new pair in my sock feet, did the exchange and put the new pair on to drive home. Plus they actually gave me money back because the new pair were cheaper than the pair I brought in.
This is why I became a member. All my business with them is done mail order and it is still an easy process to facilitate exchanges and returns.

I would also say that $30 return shipping fee is inexpensive compared to discomfort of warring the wrong boots for you. I would try on boots that you could return for free for sure, but look at those that interest you that don’t as well. You can’t go wrong in being too picky with boots. They are the basis of your every adventure.

When I was in the Marines, we tended to go rather minimalistic because we had to save weight for otherthings. Lots of creature comforts were omitted. The only things that truly mattered was our weapons, ammo and boots. Everything else was optional. For recreational hunting, I would have to reverse that order of importance because you can still have a great experience if you forget your ammo, (seen it happen, dude woke up in a hangover fog). You however would not be happy under any circumstances if you had bad boots.

I bought some Kennetreks at Scheel’s yesterday. The boot guy told me that Kennetrek recommends a 20 mile break-in. If during or after that I have a problem, just bring them back. Hopefully, I don’t have to validate that offer. I guess I won’t know what it’s worth unless I do.

I bought some Kennetreks at Scheel’s yesterday. The boot guy told me that Kennetrek recommends a 20 mile break-in. If during or after that I have a problem, just bring them back. Hopefully, I don’t have to validate that offer. I guess I won’t know what it’s worth unless I do.
You'll know pretty quick with Kenetrek. I waited too long so now I just wear a piece of tape on my heel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back