Caribou Gear

Optics yard ranges

Midmo

I know the title is not great. I know 3x9x40 is very common but what distances does this cover? When would you step up to a 4x12? I am looking for a new scope for a new to me rifle I just purchased. I like the idea of the Leupold cds system but not sure what I really need. I am not sure what brand I will end up with either. What are your thoughts on why magnification to use for certain distances. I bought a .270Win by the way.

3-9x is obviously one of the most common magnification ranges. I think it is effective at almost any distance unless you just want to use the scope for much more detailed animal inspection. With a .270 rifle, what you desire for amount of terminal energy will be your limiting factor. Many people want 1000-1200 ftlbs of energy at target. What and where will you be hunting?

I hunt whitetail in Missouri. I to travel and hunt other species as my kids get a little older.

I have a 4.5x14 and I think it is overkill. The only time I crank it to 14x is when I'm looking over 300 yards out. The 3x9 cds should be very versatile for your .270 sub 400 yards! I have a 4x12 that covers my Northern Minnesota hunting and can cover my prairie hunts.

There are plenty of confirmed kills beyond 1000 yards in combat with 8 and 10 power scopes. That said, personally I like a 3-9 on guns I won’t likely shoot over 400, a 4-12 on guns I won’t shoot over 600 and 6/8-20/32 on something I’m going to shoot 600-1000 and beyond.

I'm building another Mauser now, 7X57 Mauser. More than likely i'll put a 3-9X40 on it.
If i don't get a deal on a 4-12.
Normally i use a 4-12. The exception being my custom Mauser in 284 Win which is currently wearing a 4-20X50.
I don't use CDS due to the fact that i shoot different bullet weights/construction for different purposes with the same rifle.
Examples would be my 250 Savage & 257 Roberts. I use 90gr Sierra BlitzKings for varmints/coyotes, and either 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or 115gr Berger VLD Hunting for deer.
My 7mm's i use from 120gr-168gr bullets.

3x9x40 will give you more than enough magnification at any practical hunting distance. I have a 4.5x14 burris that I got for free and I've never shot at an animal with it above 4.5.

One of the biggest optics mistakes I've seen hunters make is having their magnification cranked all the way up and then not being able to find the animal in the scope for a follow up shot.

3x9x40 will give you more than enough magnification at any practical hunting distance. I have a 4.5x14 burris that I got for free and I've never shot at an animal with it above 4.5.

One of the biggest optics mistakes I've seen hunters make is having their magnification cranked all the way up and then not being able to find the animal in the scope for a follow up shot.
I've been guilty of this! Now I routinely check to make sure its at the lowest setting.

I went with a Nikon Prostaff 5 with a side focus. Should be here Monday. My new rifle should be here today. Now to choose some rings.

Last edited:
I have Leupold rings and bases on my other 700 but I have been wanting to try the Talleys.

I found I like more than 10x on small targets(4x6” plate) at 600 and farther anything over 8x8” out to 1000 yards with a fixed 10x is fine for me.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back