Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Optics recommendations vortex or ziess

AppalachianMTN

Hey guys, I'm a new member and new to hunting out west. I'm currently planning a colorado hunt in the near Currently, i'm working on getting my gear list put together. I wanted to run it buy some guys that has experience hunting in such conditions. Right now im looking at the Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 or the Viper 20-65x85, is it worth the money to go bigger? Secondly, I've been looking at the Ziess Conquest 10x42 and the Vortex Viper 10x42 what are yall's opinion on each? Lastly, the scope ive had my eye on is the Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST 5-25x50. What are yall's opinion on these optics? I'm looking for quality optics but also trying to save as much money as possible, i know quality comes with price but any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I love my vortex gear. I have viper 10x42, great glass. Incredible waarranty. Ans probably the best customer service in the buisness.

Zeiss,hands down,any model....IMHO. Conquest rifle scope is night & day difference.

I'm also a big fan of Vortex, and I have their low end diamonbacks and still don't complain, so I'd vote for them personally.

As far as those viper sizes, the larger obviously has advantages, but also weighs a lot more and takes up a lot more space in the pack... If you're going to be packing in long distance its probably worth looking into the size and weight difference between the two. For most of what I do I like the 65 better, but I also tend to move a lot so the extra bulk is a major draw back for me.

I think the spotter you're better off with the HD 14-45 because I think optical quality is too low for the non HD version.

Binos Zeiss conquest quality are above that of the viper. The zeiss Terra are probably similar

Vortex is losing ground in the scope world to companies like Athlon and SWFA. Optical quality of the PST is good but others are as close or better for the price

Just my opinion but if you are new to hunting out west and building a gear list for the long haul, you can get by without a spotter. I'd use the extra cash to upgrade the binos. If you are set on vortex or ziess, go Zeiss. Better yet, look at Swaro, high end Ziess or Leica.

Ive always heard great things about their warranty and thats probably one of the biggest reasons i've considered them and their prices are hard to beat. Ziess is a brand im pretty new to ive been trying to do my research on them and so far i've liked what i have saw. I never considered the weight and size of going with a 85 i know our first trip will be a base camp type hunt but later on in the future i would like to try out the backpacking style hunts.

Red Hawk rifles had some Zeiss conquest demos...you’d be hard pressed to finder nicer glass for the money

Thanks for the imput to guys, im open to any gear recommendations i started with vortex because where im from its probably the most popular optics of course the hunting here, your lucky to have a 300yrd shot.

I have vortex viper 10x42 binos and vortex viper 4x16x44 riflescope. Love them both. I've heard great things about the Zeiss though and these guys know their stuff so I'm sure you'd love the Zeiss if you went with those.

I’m not a vortex fan (from experience) so I’d go Zeiss if those are the only options. Definitely considered the weight of a spotter if you are going to be packing it very far. As for the scope, you do not need 25x. If you want to save money, get a 3-9x40 or 4-12x50. Both of those are plenty of magnification. We are talking about a 500+ lb. animal here.

The Gen II PST is a very nice scope although the 3-15 is optically more impressive than the 5-25. It is made in the Phillipines though and is more of a range scope than hunting scope, mainly due to the FFP and busy Reticle.

Similar scopes would be the Bushnell LRHS, Athlon Ares ETR, Tract Toric, Eotech Vudu. Really good value in all of them.

Go with the conquest binos.

I'm pretty pleased with my vortex razer hd 10-42 binos,,but spendy,,Nikon ed-50 as a small lightweight spotter,,vortex razer hd 65-or 80 mm big spotter if you can afford it,,id rate ziess as better glass but depends on price difference vs vortex top razor line,,there cheaper viper line is decent .but hd glass makes a big difference.

Zeiss conquest binos are fantastic. Check out a Kowa 15-45 spotter, and the best glass you can afford for your rifle scope. I have the PST Gen 2 but not on a hunting rifle. I wouldn't carry that weight in the field.

As someone 3 years ahead of you in the bell curve, some advice while your building your gear list. Spending your way towards a elk only works on a guided hunt. No matter how much you spend you cannot spend enough on gear for the pile of gear to kill an elk.

For your first hunt....You need great boots, a pair of decent binoculars, a chest bono carrier with a range finder pouch, a pack of some sorts, a rifle and scope combo you shoot accurately, some Levi jeans, some long underwear, a warm jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, 2 knives, good game bags(Caribou), a source of water, and a Orange vest.

1000 and 1000 of elk are killed every year with less than this.

As you go you will figure out what works for you and upgrade as necessary. For what I spent that I didn’t need or have since changed I could of bought a guided hunt that first time.

I've used Zeiss, Swarovski, and Vortex binos. Yeah the euro glass is really nice but for me, I'm more than happy with my Vortex Diamondback 10x42's.

Maven and meopta would be on the top of my list in the price range of zeiss for binos. Both have a similar warranty to vortex and are far better in my opinion.

Back