Optics .308

802flyfish

Looking to upgrade the glass on my .308.

Has anyone used a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 FireDot Duplex CONQUEST V4 4-16×44
or a scope from Maven?

Last edited:
5HD within budget but I’d be willing to stretch it if need be. is the 6HD worth it ?
"Worth it?" is a hard thing to answer. Depends on how much budget strain it places, how sensitive you are to glass/coating quality (which is governed by the law of diminishing return as you go up in price), conditions you hunt in, reticle preferences, what other things you might forgo to stretch it, whether or not you like the little extras like the alumina caps, integrated level, etc. I have both and for under 300y in typical conditions I like them equally. For longer shots I like the integrated level and illuminated TMOA reticle option, for very low light I perceive a bit of advantage in optical quality but not much, in rain/snow I like the alumina caps. (of course, there are aftermarket caps and levels, but the final fit and finish of the 6HD system is topnotch)

In the end, if you can spend the extra $$ without then skipping other needs/wants then I think it is worth it, if not, the 5HD will be an excellent choice.

I have the Zeiss V4...I really like it. Good solid zero stop and capped windage. I've never looked through the VX5 but I'd assume they're fairly close in optical quality. I hear a lot of guys say they like the Firedot. I believe the V4 is a touch heavier.

I have a few 5Hd’s and a 3HD and a vortex. The Leupold glass is much better in my opinion. I’ve only looked through a Zeiss in a store so no field knowledge. As mentioned as schmalts for a Leupold quote via email and it makes the price not hurt as bad. His website lists the brands he carry’s. Predator optics.

I ended up ordering the VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 Side Focus Illum. FireDot Duplex.

Anyone with the custom CDS dial? Curious as what the elevation change +/- is, as the areas I hunt in SW Mt fluctuate.

Worth it? When I lived in Montana I lived near Lakeside, maybe 20 mi south of Kalispell. Hunted all around Lakeside, outside Bigfork and up to Pole bridge. Used a number of different rifles but the most used was my Mod 660 in 308. Started out with a 2 3/4x Denver/Redfield and it stayed on there almost 50yrs, never needed more. I think whatever scope a guy want's to use , if it works for him, it's perfect. But 15x goes way beyond anything I ever needed. Granted I don't take long shots much. Longest ever was with my 6.5x06 and 3-9x scope at measured 330yds, just to say I did it. Pretty bad reason! But I also took the shot on 3x! Something I've noticed using variable scopes is I always carry them on the lowest power and I don't recall ever taking them to a higher power hunting. Probably just never though of it. Of course I broke in using fixed power scopes, mostly 4x's. The thing I notice other than I never use higher power's other than when sighting in is that the scopes are so much bigger. Don't add to much extra weight but sometimes they make it look like the scope is wearing the rifle! Had a 4 1/2x14 scope on my 6.5x06 for a while and it was huge! But for hunting I always took it off and put on a smaller scope. While I did have it on I never shot it over 8x and that was shooting at target's at 500 yds! Finally got rid of it and had never had it over 8x! Something I noticed with variable scopes, on higher powers I can watch my heart beat!

Still have that old 2 3/4x Redfield. it's the one I use on my elk rifle, 30-06! Three elk and three shots!

Last edited:
"Worth it?" is a hard thing to answer. Depends on how much budget strain it places, how sensitive you are to glass/coating quality (which is governed by the law of diminishing return as you go up in price), conditions you hunt in, reticle preferences, what other things you might forgo to stretch it, whether or not you like the little extras like the alumina caps, integrated level, etc. I have both and for under 300y in typical conditions I like them equally. For longer shots I like the integrated level and illuminated TMOA reticle option, for very low light I perceive a bit of advantage in optical quality but not much, in rain/snow I like the alumina caps. (of course, there are aftermarket caps and levels, but the final fit and finish of the 6HD system is topnotch)

In the end, if you can spend the extra $$ without then skipping other needs/wants then I think it is worth it, if not, the 5HD will be an excellent choice.
I have the 6HD on my 308. I really like the integrated level and illuminated retice as well and the I would agree the low-light performance is better. I dinged my front cover 2 yrs ago sliding down a chute (not by design) and it didn't want to fully close without a little extra force. Sent it back to Leupold to replace as I couldn't get it off and didn't want to damage the optics trying to force it. I offered to pay the fix and replacement as it was entirely my fault but Leupold replaced it, adjusted the full travel (likely an result of the impact too but I didn't notice it), and sent it back with no charge. Best customer service I have had in a long time. I haven't put anything but a Leupold on since and that covers three new scopes.

I ended up ordering the VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 Side Focus Illum. FireDot Duplex.

Anyone with the custom CDS dial? Curious as what the elevation change +/- is, as the areas I hunt in SW Mt fluctuate.
Your question is well timed. Just remounted my 6HD on my 308; took it out and zero'd it at 200 yds; then hit the 400 and 600 yd ranges. My CDS dial was dead nuts on with my hunting round. Pinged the 8-in targets 5 for 5 at both ranges. As others have said elsewhere, chrono the rounds you want the dial to match to, provide accurate rifle/round data to Leupold including the altitudes and normal temperatures you expect to hunt at and you should get a reliable CDS dial in return that you can count on. Altitude numbers should be good +/- 1500 ft from what you specify.

I have several of the vx5's. Really good glass. I've been happy with them. I think the glass and coatings are the same as the vx6 but the 6 has some extra bells as well as a bigger range swing. I think you'll be happy. I usually buy the alumina caps. Pricey but worth it IMO.

Another vote for the VX5, I recently swapped from a fire dot unit to a normal duplex, no real reason other than just trying to get away from batteries. It never fails, ill swap a battery and its dead right when Id like to use it most. The cds system is awesome for hunting at normal hunting ranges. I live in the flattest area of the country and with altitude/pressure/temp changes its still minute of deer out to 400 at higher elevation lower pressure colder/hotter whatever.

I have the 6HD on my 308. I really like the integrated level and illuminated retice as well and the I would agree the low-light performance is better. I dinged my front cover 2 yrs ago sliding down a chute (not by design) and it didn't want to fully close without a little extra force. Sent it back to Leupold to replace as I couldn't get it off and didn't want to damage the optics trying to force it. I offered to pay the fix and replacement as it was entirely my fault but Leupold replaced it, adjusted the full travel (likely an result of the impact too but I didn't notice it), and sent it back with no charge. Best customer service I have had in a long time. I haven't put anything but a Leupold on since and that covers three new scopes.
While I lived in Alaska I ran into a guy that found a Leupold scope in a river up there. He sent it to Leupold asking them to fix it and told them he found it. They sent him a new scope for free!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back