Caribou Gear

onXmaps

freebird63

Those out there that are using this product, which platform do you use?? do you use a handheld gps or download the map to your phone??
I have heard Randy talk about it lots, but wanted to hear others opinions and experience with the product.

Have it on my iPhone.

Used it in Wyoming and Montana last year. All in all, I would never be out west without it.

Have dealt with a few issues though...Struggled last year with getting maps to download, but they must have worked the bugs out because it's a LOT quicker and easier now. A few times I've noticed that the mileage it says I've hiked has been significantly wrong. It's seems to lose itself for a bit sometimes and there will be a break in the track (in airplane mode using the phone gps and a cashed map). It will then say I've hiked 12 miles when I've only been 8. The other issue we had in Montana was we were tent camping in 20 deg weather at night. The phone batteries didn't like that. Make sure and have a power solution to keep charged.

I may try the gps cards this fall. After last fall, and the map failing to load at all for over a week straight. I'll never have JUST the phone version again. Customer service didnt seem to care.

It's weird because they seem to be pushing people more towards the app yet it's still so buggy. Although I haven't tried using it in airplane mode which seems to be the key.

Great product but that app is unpredictable. Definitely wouldn't put in on a Samsung S7. Totally fried 2 brand new phones that luckily Verizon replaced under warranty and have same from others. I'll go back to a dedicated GPS and a chip for this yr.

I use it in my Etrex and like it. Would love to have the computer version but the gps is good

Nothing really to figure out with the GPS sd card. Put it in the gps and go. The map should be enabled from the start.

It appears the Alpha 100 accepts sd cards and custom maps, you should be fine.

I've use both. Really not much difference between them.

I prefer the GPS + chip just for ruggedness, but they'll function the same. Also easier to just change out batteries instead of trying to recharge your phone.

The chip in my GPS has been awesome. The app on my iPhone is great when it works, but it doesn't work all that often. I'd stick with the chip, hopefully they'll get something figured out with the app.

Chip great. App bad. Don't leave home without it. Must have.

I think I will get a gps unit and SD card. Now to figure out which unit to get. Thanks for all the advice

Buy that Monterra that's listed on this forum. Great deal.

I use a Garmin Montana 650 and chips. It is an extra gadget to carry but it always works, you can replace the battery pack with AAs when it gets low, screen is as big as most phones, it's tough/rugged, and I can keep my phone off to save battery until I need it.

I've never tried the app, since the Garmin works so well.

Back