OnXmaps on Oregon 450

DirtyDan

Has anyone used this combo? I'm trying to decide between getting the chip for my Garmin or putting it on my iPhone 6. I haven't been overly impressed with the battery life or the touch screen on the GPS but it's built like a tank and would be cheaper to replace then the phone. I don't want to have to by a new GPS this year so this is my only option. I'd have to get two states for the phone as I'm looking at Colorado and Montana so there isn't a big cost advantage over one or the other.

I had that gps/chip combo and liked it a lot. You have to use lithium batteries in the GPS for maximum battery life. I decided I didn't like the touchscreen with my clumsy fingers, so I went to an eTrex 20 and all I'm really missing is the screen size, but it does what I need it to do and still takes the chip.

I use a Montana with Oregon/Wyoming/Arizona on the chip, the std rechargeable battery with one extra, and an Anker E5 16,000 mah charger.

I have a Oregon 450 that I use with OnXmaps. I have been on several Wyoming pronghorn hunts where I use it. I always make sure there are fresh lithium batteries installed and always have some spares, but I really can't remember ever having to replace them during the hunt. We are normally there for two or three days.

I have that combo as well, works great. I have OnXMaps on my phone and GPS...but your right the GPS is built a lot more sturdy, and even though the batteries might drain quicker...which probably isn't true either, the phone drains quickly. The fact is though...if I drop my GPS or bang it around, it's rock solid...the phone, YIKES!

GPS is my go to. I only have the phone app because I won a few years subscription on it, not sure I will renew it. I like moving waypoints between google earth and base point way too much.

I use that combo...I have used the cheap Rayovac and bulk Energizer but they drain very quickly. Like in less than a day quickly. I tried Amazon rechargeable and found myself switching even more often. Lithium batteries seems the way to go.

I typically run the eTrex 20 with OnXChip and regular old Kirkland Signature batteries and get 20+ hours. I always turn the screen backlight off during the day. You can also increase the recording interval (I think the default is 5s) to squeeze more life out of it. I never found a substantial difference in battery life between lithium and alkaline. There is a menu option on the eTrex to specify what kind of batteries you are using. Not sure how that changes the power management of the device though.

I typically run the eTrex 20 with OnXChip and regular old Kirkland Signature batteries and get 20+ hours. I always turn the screen backlight off during the day. You can also increase the recording interval (I think the default is 5s) to squeeze more life out of it. I never found a substantial difference in battery life between lithium and alkaline. There is a menu option on the eTrex to specify what kind of batteries you are using. Not sure how that changes the power management of the device though.

I agree with all of this about the eTrex 20. My last Wyoming hunt I forgot batteries and on the way there I stopped in to Walmart and all they had were regular AA's, so I got Duracells and went on my merry way. Turning the backlight off and only turning the unit on as needed gave me about 3 days worth of battery life on regular batteries with limited use of the unit. Once you've been in the area for a few days, you know your boundries and need the unit less and less. Keep it turned off when you're not using it and off the backlight and reset the interval and you can save a lot of battery. You can do all of that on the Oregon as well. I got good battery life with lithiums doing the exact same routine with my Oregon before I got my eTrex 20.

Thanks all. I do run the lithiums and have all the settings set to the minimum I think. I never leave the unit on for any length of time other than to set a waypoint or to get a bearing to a point. I usually can get by on a 7 day hunt with two sets of fresh batteries but thought that was doing bad. I saw today that OnX is coming out with a 3.0 app. do out in about a week. Wonder if I should wait awhile and see what the general consensus is before committing to the chip.

I think a big question is what are you doing with the gps? I pretty my just check it now and then and that's about it. "Oh, I'm 4 miles from camp. Cool." If you are using it to navigate in the dark, the constant use will drain much faster. As for iPhone, I can leave it in airplane mode, refer to the gps app (Trimble I think) periodically and take a few pics now and then and get 3 days easy. But, big screen, big backlight, more juice. I love the eTrex because it's a little tank. No concern about drops, water, etc. Unless I'm going to buy a heavy duty case for my iPhone, eTrex is always clipped to my pack.

I use the 450 system. Bullet proof so far.
Rechargables. Same with all my stuff,interchagable. Spares in pack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back