Caribou Gear

OnX Maps

Wheaty17

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or, walk me through how to use the offline/airplane mode so that my phone battery lasts longer than 45 minutes?

I have an Iphone 6s. I have my maps downloaded to the medium image. I go to offline and airplane mode and my battery still drains fast. If I use tracks it drains faster. I hear about other people who say their phones last 1.5 days on a single charge. I have to carry a 20000 charger that weighs a pound because I'm worried my battery will die. I have it hooked to my phone constantly.

Can anyone guide me. This is one thing that really worries me when hiking in bivy hunting and if I can figure out how to get a longer life I'd feel much more relaxed.

Thanks

If you have all other apps closed, and you are in airplane mode, and your battery life is still very short I would suspect it's the phone battery. Keep in mind very cold weather affects battery life as well.

My iPhone 7 doesn’t last very long either. I can get a couple days out of it in the summer, but if it’s in the 20’s or colder, it is unusable as a primary GPS. My Garmin will last for at least a couple days in those temps.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly Apple greatly improved their batteries on the iPhone 7. I had a 5 and it would die within 30 minutes if it was in a temp lower than 50 degrees. Have you noticed a difference between warm weather and cold weather? I used to put my phone in a pocket with a hand warmer to make it a little better. That being said upgrading to a quality droid phone will make a BIG difference.

I put the battery in low power mode and it last several days easily. Go to settings, battery, low power mode. If you recharge, it will put your battery back in regular mode so you'll need to set it into low power mode again.

Did anyone else get the email from ONX yesterday talking about how many miles and way points were used last year? If they can track this what is stopping them from using that for their own personal use if they go hunt an area they are unfamiliar with? Can they really pull up your way points and your track? I know i know conspiracy theory stuff but just caught me off guard on how much info they claimed to know on their email.

I could be wrong but I'm sure when you clicked install and said you agree, it was written in the fine print that you gave them permission.

Dont use waypoints that say "elk here", and you'll have no worries. Honestly though, although I'm sure they could use our info for their own benefit, I'm sure the owner has realized the backlash that would occur if that was made public, and does what he can to keep it from happening. I could care less. The woods in Colorado can't get any more crowded than they already are. No spot is secret anymore.

I could be wrong but I'm sure when you clicked install and said you agree, it was written in the fine print that you gave them permission.

Oh I'm sure we did. Not really worried but it's just what popped into my head when they advertised how much info was collected over the last year. By my track record, no one wants to hunt my tracks anyways

I put the battery in low power mode and it last several days easily. Go to settings, battery, low power mode. If you recharge, it will put your battery back in regular mode so you'll need to set it into low power mode again.

I haven't tried this. But, to get even a day out of one fully charged battery on the 6S seems like a pipe dream. I'm gonna try it though.

I get 10 hrs running onX on a 6 but I use it very little during the day. I just check my location or distance from camp in the afternoon. I also keep it in my chest pocket where it stays warm.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back