Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ontario Moose Hunt

wally28

Looking ffor info on area near Hearst and east to Quebec border around TamadamiThanks

To be honest our Moose herd has been hit hard. With predation, improper management from the Province and the native over harvest it isn't worth coming here to Moose hunt.

I have a good friend that dropped $4000 on a fly in moose hunt in Ontario & he never saw a mose in 10 days.

Now if you want some good bear hunting, we've got a ton of bears here

LOL Yep... Bears have replaced moose in my diet to a great degree. Have you applied for Moose this year? I know a ton of guys getting out of it and it's a damn shame. We're down to 26 adult tags in WMU 39 from a couple-hundred 5 years ago with ZERO consensus on a solution.

To be honest our Moose herd has been hit hard. With predation, improper management from the Province and the native over harvest it isn't worth coming here to Moose hunt.

There was a mule deer killed on the highway near Fairbanks which led to several stories
about potential tick migrations to Alaska's moose population and how ticks can affect
moose populations in southern areas like New Hampshire.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/01/13/winter-ticks-exact-heavy-toll-new-england-moose/PmpQ3QAHm9C1imAxkzMhDM/story.html

Are ticks a problem in Ontario moose?

Ticks have been pretty bad, We've had a few couple mild winters here. Plus the CWD, the large predator population, calf harvest and unregulated native harvests. I'd honestly like for them to cancel the moose hunt all together to help and allow them to rebound

Have you applied for Moose this year?

Nope, I haven't for a couple years now. I have tried again to get an Elk tag, though that too is a long shot lol. This year won't be as productive, I'm in the process of trying to find new farms to hunt.

I am heading to Dryden in three weeks to hunt. Taking both boys along. They are going to fish with grandpa.

Ticks have been pretty bad, We've had a few couple mild winters here. Plus the CWD, the large predator population, calf harvest and unregulated native harvests. I'd honestly like for them to cancel the moose hunt all together to help and allow them to rebound

I did not know that moose got Chronic Wasting Disease...
is black bear the main predator of calfs in Ontario?

We have a ton of bears, wolves and now coywolves. Plus you can actually get calf tags here, it's one of the dumbest........ i don't even know what to call it

Ticks are bad in Sudbury as well. I don't think CWD has arrived here yet? I know it hasn't on Manitoulin Island.. we had all of our deer tested last year including a 7+ year-old doe. I've toyed with the idea of applying for elk here. I am ecstatic that they are doing well in some regions. If I were to draw, it would mean a bunch of trips south to Knock on doors, which I'm not thrilled with.

Moose in Ontario are being attacked from all sides. Government funding of areal surveys is down, as is enforcement. We're getting damn good at hunting calves after 25 years chasing them. The bears are hard on calves, although nobody seems to know to what extent. I'm sure the wolves get their fair share as well. Added to that is the fact that we've got a growing and completely unreported native harvest. It's a mess and the population is in a nosedive.

Moose in Ontario are being attacked from all sides. Government funding of areal surveys is down, as is enforcement. We're getting damn good at hunting calves after 25 years chasing them. The bears are hard on calves, although nobody seems to know to what extent. I'm sure the wolves get their fair share as well. Added to that is the fact that we've got a growing and completely unreported native harvest. It's a mess and the population is in a nosedive.

Why do they allow shooting of calves?
In Alaska where moose populations are in good shape, typically even the limited cow hunts are
cows not with a calf, and relative to bulls, very few cows are harvested statewide.

The only time calves should be hunted is if the total population is on the verge of overwhelming the habitat and biologists feel is best to remove some of each age class of animal.

The way I understand it, Ontario has a long and convoluted history of ignoring scientific data when managing large game populations. In the 1970's there wasn't such a thing as a moose tag, you buy a license, you kill a moose. Then sometime in the late 80's I believe, the government instituted this tag draw system and there was a popular revolt because hunters had for years thought of the moose hunt as a social exercise. Suddenly, you bought a moose license, but you couldn't go out with your cousins and camp out in the woods with guns. I may be over simplifying that. So, the calf hunt was envisioned as some sort of low-impact compromise with the idea that moose calves are inherently difficult to hunt and that fact would keep the harvest low. The masses would still get to go out and hunt even if they didn't draw a tag. Fast forward 25 years, and with forest road construction, clear cutting and good 'ol practice, we've gotten really good at hunting calves. Even today, whenever there is talk of a calf moose draw, there is a redneck uprising. The opening weekend of moose hunting here is almost a religious holiday, people hunt in parties almost exclusively. Something needs to be done, and I think the "Western" big game model of conservation could work. People are just going to have to get used to maybe not going moose hunting EVERY year.

Rainer may be able to correct some of this if I'm way off base...

Last edited:
Ontario's management of it's game is probably the worst in North America. I have wrote many letters to government and other opinion pieces on the subject. It is sad. I always point to many of the western states and their game management practices as a good guide as to what we should be doing. Every hunter get's a calf tag. Cow tags usually on par with moose tags. The MNR actually gives out 1000's of tags in some units to help a non-existant woodland caribou herd. Bear management here is a joke. Wolves and coyotes are rampant and MNR has put in policies to limit hunting predators. On and on. Right now there are consultations about our game management, this happens every few years but the people on this commission are very poor at advocating for wildlife because of personal agenda's and poor knowledge of the resource. That said, there are still some nice pockets of moose here and there. NW Ontario should have a burgeoning population with proper management.

For many years we hunted whitetails in the Lake of the Woods area. We shot some huge bucks. Wolves moved in, and have really decimated the herd. One Fish and Game official said the Province didn't care about deer as their only focus was moose. Many groups of deer hunters from my area no longer travel to Ontario for hunting.

Its a shame any State allows Calf or Cow hunting. Total BS in Canada and the States. And they should promote Bear and Wolve Hunting in some areas................BOB!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back