Only a nose --knows

cougar 44

Went out the last two weekends for quail.
Ive been reading some stuff on here about guys complaing about the heat..
Well its been in the low to upper 90s here and the dogs seem to be having a tuff time of it.. The Quail hunter and I have been going out about 6:30 in the morning and stopping about 8 or 9 as it gets to hot on the dogs. Weve been connecting on some quail but the dogs have been bumping alot of birds it seems..

My question is when its that warm out or your dogs seem to be getting to hot do they simply lose there nose.. are you guys finding the same thing when it gets warm that your dogs don't seem to scent the birds as well... Mornings are upper 50s but not for long .. By 8 or 9 its upper 70s and the dogs are preety tired...

I think it's always harder for the dogs to scent birds when it's over 70 degrees. They get lots of dust in their nose. Heat waves take the scent straight up, etc. Perfect conditions are thirty to forty five degrees, 5 MPH wind, and humid conditions. Frost or snow on the ground is best. IMHO

I think its both the heat and lesser scenting conditions that dogs aren't into birds as much.

My solid liver GSP sucks up the sun in a hurry. I've really got to watch her close and make sure I'm packing lots of water. Even when its hot though if there is a steady breeze she will find the birds. If its hot and calm it makes for tough hunting.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back