Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

One week away

perma

Leaving for my first pronghorn hunt next week. Archery hunt in CO on family land. Never hunted pronghorn before and adding a much more difficult element with a bow. I invested in gear a lot this year, so if I dont tag out, that's not the reason. Terrain will be flat with some high standing cactus, no ravines or hills to hide from. All i got is the cactus and a decoy i bought. Also, a makeshift blind out of tarp and trekking poles (the only thing i didnt splurge on).

I'm overly excited and anxious. I've been hunting for 10 years and havent harvested anything. Had so many close calls that haunt me from the biggest whitetail buck ive ever seen in Iowa to a six point bull running 70 yards from me in thick lodgepole pines. I need this monkey off my back badly. But i'm ready to go and do something different.

Leaving for my first pronghorn hunt next week. Archery hunt in CO on family land. Never hunted pronghorn before and adding a much more difficult element with a bow. I invested in gear a lot this year, so if I dont tag out, that's not the reason. Terrain will be flat with some high standing cactus, no ravines or hills to hide from. All i got is the cactus and a decoy i bought. Also, a makeshift blind out of tarp and trekking poles (the only thing i didnt splurge on).

I'm overly excited and anxious. I've been hunting for 10 years and havent harvested anything. Had so many close calls that haunt me from the biggest whitetail buck ive ever seen in Iowa to a six point bull running 70 yards from me in thick lodgepole pines. I need this monkey off my back badly. But i'm ready to go and do something different.
Good Luck! Hoping to do my first Pronghorn hunt in the next couple of years. Post your hunt when it happens.

I got into bow hunting when I was 14…my dad said it was a waste of time because of the low deer numbers on the public land we hunted. Lot of years and practice but success eluded me. I was 23 when a 6 point buck came by in 25 mph winds on the side of a bean field at 30 yards. I put a muzzy three blade straight through the bread basket and I watched him fall in the field. I’ve killed a bunch of deer since that day but none of those are as vivid in my memory as that 6 point!
Keep at it…you will have success and it’ll be an awesome experience that will never leave you.
Good luck!

Bow hunting antelope taught me a lot. It’s not a hunt for anyone who gets discouraged or is all about punching a tag. But, having an all day run and gun stalking lope after lope is the absolute most fun you can have with a bow in your hand imo. When you finally pull it off it feels like you’ve conquered the world. Especially since 99% of the time it makes you feel like selling all your hunting stuff and taking up knitting as a hobby.

10 years is a lot of dedication I'll commend you for that! Once it happens and the first one is down its like flipping a switch it'll all come together for you after that. Like learning to ride a bike. Good luck!!

It’s not looking good. One and a half more days and the only buck is two fences away.

Attachments

• 42795267-1D07-44B3-8597-F86035A30064.jpeg
    42795267-1D07-44B3-8597-F86035A30064.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
Is that buck on a place you can hunt? If so I’d just start going after them. If they aren’t gonna come to you, you gotta go to them. Unless it’s trespassing. Lol

Well gents it’s curtains for me. Final two stalks I blew. Rookie mistakes.

tHeRe’S aLwAyS nExT yEaR

Well gents it’s curtains for me. Final two stalks I blew. Rookie mistakes.

tHeRe’S aLwAyS nExT yEaR
Dang man, I see you’re from the Midwest. Do you WT hunt? I think the more time you spend around animals with a bow in your hand the faster you learn all the things you can and can’t do when they’re close.

Dang man, I see you’re from the Midwest. Do you WT hunt? I think the more time you spend around animals with a bow in your hand the faster you learn all the things you can and can’t do when they’re close.
I do but truthfully I don’t take WT too seriously. I guess I’ll have to this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back