One Piece of Advice

One thing I recommend for beginners is get both a GPS and a GPS app for your phone along with On-X maps and get proficient at using them. You need a GPS in case your cell phone goes dead on you. Get proficient at GPS features and know how to use them before you go hunting.

One piece of advice isn't sufficient.
All of the above.
My biggest failure was passing on alot of legal animals in my early days looking for Mr. Big. Consequently I ate alot of tags.
I generally recommend to newbies to shoot the first legal animal they have an opportunity on. Climb the ladder from there.

All of the above.
My biggest failure was passing on alot of legal animals in my early days looking for Mr. Big. Consequently I ate alot of tags.
I generally recommend to newbies to shoot the first legal animal they have an opportunity on. Climb the ladder from there.
Hem, I have done the same thing. At some point Mr big hasn't come along, and Mr taste good has. mtmuley

Persevere......

This.

I think you have to go out every day with the attitude that you ARE going to get an elk and any of the challenges that you meet on that quest are just details that can be worked around or through.

Keep you nose to the wind, get up there early... be the last to leave the mountain and don't hunt without binoculars.

One thing I recommend for beginners is get both a GPS and a GPS app for your phone along with On-X maps and get proficient at using them. You need a GPS in case your cell phone goes dead on you. Get proficient at GPS features and know how to use them before you go hunting.
Get a good compass and map and get proficient with them.
Then a GPS and an App. 🔥

Get a good compass and map and get proficient with them.
Then a GPS and an App. 🔥

LOL good idea. I have hard copy maps just in case all else fails plus it allows me to look at the bigger picture rather than the space of land that shows in the On-X app. All of your latest cell phones and Garmins contain a build in compass. But if you happen to have a mishap and fall into a river or something and get them wet, they are no good. Try and find waterproof or at least water resistant options. I still have a compass and protractor from my military days and I keep both in my pack.

I would get also proficient with Google Earth Pro and On-X PC app version because both will help with the scouting. Key to successful hunting, do your homewordk before and get some scouting in before hunting opens up.

I get my maps from mytopo.com. They print custom maps designed specifically for hunters that shows the latest in private lands, BLM, state, hunt areas, etc. Recommend you get one from them. It is wise to have hard copy maps to fall back on if the digital options fail you.

When you get back to an area and the hair stands up on your neck, telling you it might not be a good idea to bail off into there.....you found the right spot....
(But make sure you are prepared to get back out or weather a night)

LOL good idea. I have hard copy maps just in case all else fails plus it allows me to look at the bigger picture rather than the space of land that shows in the On-X app. All of your latest cell phones and Garmins contain a build in compass. But if you happen to have a mishap and fall into a river or something and get them wet, they are no good. Try and find waterproof or at least water resistant options. I still have a compass and protractor from my military days and I keep both in my pack.

I would get also proficient with Google Earth Pro and On-X PC app version because both will help with the scouting. Key to successful hunting, do your homewordk before and get some scouting in before hunting opens up.

I get my maps from mytopo.com. They print custom maps designed specifically for hunters that shows the latest in private lands, BLM, state, hunt areas, etc. Recommend you get one from them. It is wise to have hard copy maps to fall back on if the digital options fail you.
I was hunting the Kiabab by myself and was headed back to camp.Going over ridges and looking at my GPS,said my camp was 1/2mi.
behind me.I had my compass around my neck and my map in my pack.My intincts said keep going,got to he top of the next rise and I
could see my camp ahead.Gps says that camp is now 3/4 mi. behind me.I now have a new GPS but always have my compass and maps. 🔥

Get in shape. When you think you’re there, work harder. All the equipment prep, calling practice and mental prep won’t do you any good when the mountains kick your butt.
Elk are where you find them, but you have to be able to find them.

Do your homework and you will visualize your success before your boots ever hit the ground

All of the above.
This, X100. I wish I could go back and tell my younger self this.

Reactions: Hem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back