Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

One Last Time

maxx

I went through a good 5-6 year period where my primary hunting was waterfowl. I was blessed with a hell of a dog. The last few years I have gotten back into Archery hunting for deer. Deer hunting in Iowa is fantastic and ducks are not so much, it helped that we had very little water for a bunch of years.

I always set aside a few weekends towards the end of the year to chase some ducks. I have a young yellow girl that has all the drive in the world but is a little bit of a pain in the @#$# in a duck blind. She makes a fantastic pheasant dog.

My buddy and I hunted on a Saturday, the ducks didn't want in much but they sure seemed interested in the corn field behind us. It happened that it was a public field. My old girl doesn't have the strength to get in and out of the boat easily but I figured we could have one last hunt in this field.

Here are some photos. We only scored the one Hen Mallard but I was pretty excited for her. She turned 12 in June so this very well may be her last bird.

I just retired by third retriever this year, they age way too fast! It is a sad time when you take them out for the last trip and they have no idea it is the end of their fun!

Good for you for getting her out. You'll remember that hen for a long time.

Pretty dog. She doesn't look that old. Too bad she could not meet this goofball old dog of mine. Took this picture last weekend. He is 11

Attachments

• 12346566_10205437609320560_6607784330233739326_n.jpg
    12346566_10205437609320560_6607784330233739326_n.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes. She is a hell of a dog. I have kept her in shape and skinny her entire career which I think is huge for dogs health.

That is great. Love seeing old dogs get some hunting in. Thanks for sharing

I have a black lab who is going on 7 years old. His early career involved akc field trials. I won a Qualified All Age trial with him when he was 2 years11 days old. I got out of that game and he has been a great duck dog. I dread the day...

Back