One 1 Ton Diesel Truck

Yeah I’ve been towing almost that with my half ton. I shouldn’t be doing it and I’d like to be towing more but I won’t. Just across town for now but that won’t last. Then add the hill and “its all she’s got captain!”

What extra maintenance are you referring to IL?

For what I’m doing, I feel like a 3/4 ton is going halfway. I need to be able to pull heavy loads. Not everyday, but often enough. That said I felt like getting the gasser was going halfway but maybe it’s a descent compromise. I don’t need to pull it fast and I’m not in Colorado anymore so I’m not going to 12k’. I just need to feel like I’m not going to break my truck when towing. I do however live at the top of a very steep hill halfway up a mountain ...
How heavy a load are you talking? A new diesel F250 or 2500 Dodge will pull a 15k trailer as fast as you want to go. If you’re going to regularly pull a trailer over 12k or so though you’d be better served with a dually. Occasional heavy loads put some timbren bags on a 3/4 ton and go with it. FWIW, I have a 2017 long bed, crew cab F250 diesel. Pulls great, rides great, fun to drive when empty, maneuvers like a greyhound bus off road is the only negative. 48 gallon tank gives me almost 800 mile range with no load and no trailer. If I’m not pulling a trailer I can fill up in Trinidad, Colorado and drive to my house in San Antonio without refilling.

I just made a run to Colorado and back with a total trailer weight of around 10k and got a hair over 10mpg running one or two miles/hour over the speed limit over a 2000 mile round trip.

Attachments

• AB09746E-7756-4FAA-91CC-7747F48CCE65.jpeg
    AB09746E-7756-4FAA-91CC-7747F48CCE65.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 20
For what I’m doing, I feel like a 3/4 ton is going halfway. I need to be able to pull heavy loads. Not everyday, but often enough. That said I felt like getting the gasser was going halfway but maybe it’s a descent compromise. I don’t need to pull it fast and I’m not in Colorado anymore so I’m not going to 12k’. I just need to feel like I’m not going to break my truck when towing. I do however live at the top of a very steep hill halfway up a mountain ...
Also, the engine brakes on the newer Ford diesels are incredible. Surprisingly little braking required even with the automatic transmission down steep grades.

Yeah I’ve been towing almost that with my half ton. I shouldn’t be doing it and I’d like to be towing more but I won’t. Just across town for now but that won’t last. Then add the hill and “its all she’s got captain!”

What extra maintenance are you referring to IL?
Tires, oil changes, and generally higher routine maintenance costs of the diesel vs gas. I can’t comment on reliability and non-routine maintenance of the diesel since I don’t own one.

Nice rig Walt. I have about same tractor. Not going transcontinental with it though. I’m not worried about offroad prowess in this rig. Why did you go 3/4 vs. 1 ton? What don’t I get? Isn’t price negligible new and even more negligible used?

Depends on what year you're looking.
I run nothing but diesel, f350s, but we're always pulling 12-14000.
The 250s used to squat when loaded. I don't keep them much longer than 10 years.
Starting in the winter has never been a real problem but se WI here, -10 is cold here.
With all the emissions on the new diesels, they are heavy maintenance.

The industry I have been in for years I am familiar with them all. Coldest I have been out in is -21 without windchill factored in and I didn't shut the truck off that day. I have been running Ford F550 and 450s. I use the Ford anti gel and put it in at every fill up during the winter months. I always drain the water separator. I have not had a gel issue since the late 90's. As far as which brands that is about like asking what gun or caliber to use hunting! My list would be 1 Ford 2 Chevy 3 Ram. I am a believer in the Duramax on the basis of a guy I worked for filled his up with gas not once but 3 times and drove it over 60 miles with no engine issues! The maintenance is more on a diesel only when it comes time to replace fuel filters. You don't have to replace fuel filters every oil change. Engine life is longer for a diesel and when pulling a load fuel mileage is better. I can go on and on about this subject because that is the industry I have been in for 30 years. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I had the nasty Ford 6.0 and after $14000 in a year gave it up. I bought a 2015 GMC 3500 Duramax because my wife has pancreatic cancer and when she is gone I plan on living in a fifth wheel so need the bigger truck. I really like the Duramax and it is a screamer. Having a 45 gallon auxiliary tank installed next week. Going to be an old nomad.

If you are wanting to pull heavy loads and a 3/4 diesel is halfway, then a gasser might be closer to a quarter of the way.
FYI most gas 3/4 ton trucks are manufacturer rated to tow and haul more than an equally equipped diesel. The limiting factor is usually the tongue/pin weight.

FYI most gas 3/4 ton trucks are manufacturer rated to tow and haul more than an equally equipped diesel. The limiting factor is usually the tongue/pin weight.
Right, so still a limiting factor. Diesel models in general are rated to tow more than comparable gas models

Also, where are you getting that info? Diesels generate way more torque on average allowing for pulling heavier loads

Last edited:
I own an 05 Chevy K3500 Duramax and a 17 Chevy K3500 Duramax. Both of them have been great trucks. The 05 has 275k miles on it presently and still gets used for towing horses. I kept it to make certain the 17 takes me across the finish line. The 17 has 44k miles on it, so too early to make claims about how it will last.

I went with the one ton to be able to carry a slide in camper, while also towing horses. Both trucks do that easily. The 17 with the exhaust brake and factory installed brake controller, make towing very stress free. It goes up and down mountain passes at the speed you have set on the cruise control.

Now, regarding gel ups. I made my money working in an oil refinery lab. That work included testing the pour point of more diesel than I could possibly remember. Here is my own strategy to avoid gel ups. I watch winter weather, pretty closely. Anything down to -10F will not cause a gelling problem. At about -15F, I pay attention. If it is that cold, I top off a tank with number 1. If it is still that cold or colder, I fill with number 1. If number 1 gels on you, it is too damn cold to be hunting. It has to get -40F before it begins to gel at all. I have never added any of the aftermarket anti gel products. I also have never had the fuel gel up on me.

My 2005 Dodge 1 ton with Cummins engine has been my favorite truck. It hauls a slide-in camper and any trailer with ease. Mileage is acceptable and varies with driving habits. Montana frigid temps have created problems so I do add anti-gel fluid occasionally, as well as fuel with number 1 Diesel. The block heater is plugged in if temps are expected below zero, and I start and warm the engine at least daily.

P1000412.JPG

my v10 ford gets a blistering 14mpg on the highway. down hill an a stiff tailwind I can touch 15 for a second haha. In town tho, dont even look. If and when I get to the point of replacing it. I may look at getting the chevy 2500 with that 6.6l, 16-17 mpg empty on the highway! The fords with that new 7.3 gasser probably have more power but shoot that 6.6l gasser is right in line with the v10 and thats perfect for what I need.

Also for the love of god get 4wd with a locker, you will need it.

Nice rig Walt. I have about same tractor. Not going transcontinental with it though. I’m not worried about offroad prowess in this rig. Why did you go 3/4 vs. 1 ton? What don’t I get? Isn’t price negligible new and even more negligible used?
Mainly went with the 250 because there were a lot more of them on the lots when I was looking but also they ride a little smoother. Same engine & Transmission, just a little less suspension. Also, the GVWR on a 250 is 10k lbs, vs 13k or so on a 350. So you have a little more wiggle room to avoid going over 26k GVWR and CDL headaches.

Well I might as well jump in.😂 2004.5 (important to parts) Dodge 3500 Crew cab Dually now with a flat bed I built. I do my own wrenching so I look at things differently than most. Have all my life.
I bought it w4wheel drive and all options because I wanted Everything in one truck. Hauled hay for my horses, travel trailer 32' weight 9000 wet. I keep Marvel's mystery oil in the fuel and change the filter every oil change. Towing in Colorado through the high passes I always get 12.5 mph empty 17-18 no bully Controller or higher level injectors. It's never let me down but once coming out of deer camp I lost the fuel pump. 2004.5 fortunately has the pump on the filter not in the tank. 20 minutes to replace once I got the pump in hand.
Normal adjustment and change injectors at 125000 ($2000) parts. Now at 187000 miles and just servicing the transmission.
But again I do my own work on my vehicles. So cost are at a minimum compared to someone taking them to a shop and paying someone else to work on one. The average person who doesn't work on one or trades every 2 or 3 years.
Don't buy a diesel if you don't work on one.
Mine I bought for the last Truck I'd get to last for my needs. I expect 400-500 thousand out of this one.
To give you an idea one of my cars has 287000 miles on it and still runs and looks new. Required a new heater core ( pain in the @#_#@) new intake manifold, twice plugs and coils and upkeep.
Everything is Relative to your needs. Shop accordingly.
As Randy said on one of his shows, watch out for Debt.😉

Where do you live? What's your hourly rate? Just in Case ... ;)
I might suggest but I don't do any repairs for others much anymore.
I keep too many projects around as it is.
But I would sell a deuce and 1/2
Or a '51 M-37 or a '76 swb Powerwagon to lesson my projects 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣funny the things one collects over the years😉

I have a 2011 and a 2015 Duramax 2500 HD. The 11 was the first year with DEF and I had some issues with it. Once those were resolved, it has been reliable. A picture of the odometer from about 3 hours ago is below. The 15 only has about 97000 on it, no issues with it yet.

2011 truck mileage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back