MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

On the cheap?

Hi all, please keep in mind that though cell phones with the onxmaps can certainly be useful, they unfortunately will not work everywhere. I hunt SE MT a good bit and in many areas there, the cell phone is useless. Only my handheld Garmin gps unit proves totally reliable with good signal obtained everywhere I go. Next to my boots, I would rate the Garmin gps unit with the onX chip to be the most useful piece of equipment I own.

No...lots of confusion here about phones using the OnX Hunt app.

Phones have a built in GPS. Download the map on the OnX Hunt App to the phone- Off Grid tab- select 'Save new Map'. Put the phone on airplane mode when hunting. Open Onx app and go to the 'Off Grid' tab- select 'Go Offline' using the map that's been downloaded. Done.

IMG_9354.png

Last edited:
I love goat hunting and live in WY and in my experience most land owners will let you hunt Antelope on there speards if you just ask. This makes getting to those back country areas a lot easier. As for boots in the prairie during that season I just run my old army issue desert boots. They don't hold heat in as bad as Gortex lined boots do and dry fast from sweat and they are cheap. But not something I would wear on an elk hunt.
For a pack I would barrow one or find a used one hit the pawn shops or whatever online website.

I love goat hunting and live in WY and in my experience most land owners will let you hunt Antelope on there speards if you just ask. This makes getting to those back country areas a lot easier. As for boots in the prairie during that season I just run my old army issue desert boots. They don't hold heat in as bad as Gortex lined boots do and dry fast from sweat and they are cheap. But not something I would wear on an elk hunt.
For a pack I would barrow one or find a used one hit the pawn shops or whatever online website.

Yeah military boots do work well well hunting. I wore the soles off my Belleville's last season in elk country. It is a good idea to have a backup pair in the truck...

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 04.15.06.png

Phones have a built in GPS. Download the map on the OnX Hunt App to the phone- Off Grid tab- select 'Save new Map'. Put the phone on airplane mode when hunting. Open Onx app and go to the 'Off Grid' tab- select 'Go Offline' using the map that's been downloaded. Done.

View attachment 108019

This has been a true game changer, far more user friendly interface than most gps units and one less thing to carry on quick day hunts

I think stealthy gets how to use it but was just referring to the fact that you can get in places where the phones GPS devices cant connect to enough satellites to get a location... if you have ever tried to use onx while on a plane or underground you have probably experienced this issue. I think it you can mitigate the problem with a newer phone with a better antenna.

I have never had to deal with it myself personally in the field. I also carry a garmin mini for communication, and it will give you a GPS location via the app on your phone if for some reason the phones receiver isn't working.

I also like to throw some paper maps in my pack just in case... I did have a hunt in MT where I struggled to get on pronghorn on the BMA I was hunting and moved about 40 miles to a different one but did have service between the two and hadn't download maps for that area.

I think best practice is to have a map at 150 mile res, 2-3 at 10 mile res, and then a bunch at 5 mile res on your location so that if you venture out of the zone you think you will be hunting you have something.

Specifically on the pack, you could get a decent used pack and probably sell it for a wash when you’re done if you decide that this type of hunting isn’t for you in the future (or you love it and want to upgrade).

Or, you could look for packs that aren’t hunting specific and save money that way too. An antelope hunt is a pretty easy entry to this type of hunting, so you don’t necessarily need to be dialed in with the latest and greatest backpacking gear to have fun and be comfortable.

Great advice here. I would also add that you can save a lot of money on boots if you know what you are looking for. If you are hunting for pronghorn there is no reason to go for $300 pair of (pick the brand). You will want a pair of vented (forget waterproof membranes they will not move enough moisture for a warm walking hunt) hiking boots. I have used Keens and Marrells successfully. True they will only last a couple of years if you used hard, but that is what you are paying.

Lot of mr lovers here it seems. But I love my outdoorsmans pack. I have the optics hunter which is discontinued but they have the palisade and the long range as well. Not saying they are better than mr I just know I love my pack.

My Pronghorn hunting hasn't included packing it in. I used to hunt 40,000 acres of walk-in area that only had one road around it. Find a buddy with a travel trailer, grill steaks and watch tv. The smaller the day pack the better, maybe even a vest. To be successful you will be stalking and more than likely; the final few yards will be on your hands and knees. A long bi-bod and a good sling goes along way. Most of my shots are made sitting, but must go prone sometimes. Oh and knee pads are recommended (those little cacti really sting).

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back