Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

? on installing linoleum

T Bone

Our house came with carpet in the bathrooms. With 7 and 5 year old boys, the carpet around the toilets gets hosed down regularly, 24 hours a day. We've noticed an odor recently, but yesterday my wife found a nice garden of mushrooms growing under the toilet......Carpet is coming out, linoleum is goin in.

Here's the question for you handyman types: Under the carpet is cement slab. Do I put the linoleum right on top the concrete slab? Or put in some underlayment particle board, then the linoleum on top of that?

I could ask Home Depot, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Any help is appreciated.

T Bone the mushroom farmer

I would highly recommend using an underlayment. There are sealants out there that are made for concrete but I have always used a piece of underlayment for best results.

I used a prefloor its like a sheet of plywood, otherwise any imperfection in the concrete will make itself obvious over time and will even wear thru the vinyl.

They make a thin underlayment just for that purpose.
It gives you a nice smooth surface to glue the linoleum onto and makes it look nice and smooth.
the floor will also not seem as hard and cold as it will on cement.
You can install on cement if it is nice and smooth with no cracks chips or rough spots.

OK dude you got to consider a few things. Are you going to glue down the floor covering? Are you using single piece goods or tile? How smooth is the surface of your slab? Has it been broomed or is it slick?
You need a good smooth surface for either using tile or single piece goods. Follow the instructions that come with your floor covering very carefully. Do Not Deviate even if they seem to waste materials. It is not absolutely necessary to glue a single piece linoleum; best to but not necessarry and can be a real pain if you have never done it before. Do your absolute best to avoid seams expecially in kitchen and bath areas where water will be used to clean the floor or may leak onto the floor. If you absolutely, positively can not avoid a seam using a single piece linoleum; bevel cut the joint with the overlap on top leading "away" from the most likely water source. Caulk your seams where the floor covering butts up to the commode, sink cabinet, and bathtub/shower area. That's really about it except be really careful measuring and dont "guess" anything. Be certain! Measure twice; cut once. Measure once; cut twice!
biggrin.gif
Good luck!!

Thanks for the help guys. I havn't torn up the carpet yet to see what the cement looks like. Sounds like there are a couple of ways to the job right, and many more to do it wrong...
smile.gif

T-Bone the mushroom farmer, That has a nice ring to it. You might want to check out Home Depot, I know they have short how to classes on a variety of do it yourself stuff.

Just bear in mind that any slight imperfection in the floor underneath will "telegraph" through the linoleum or tile. I got a speck of sawdust or plaster under the last I installed. Lucky for me I found it before the glue set up. If you use underlayment, try for something that is tongue-and-groove or at least has a beveled edge. Put some liquid nails in the groove/bevel before you glue down the underlayment for the same reason. Patterned flooring hides imperfections better than more solid designs.

-RW-

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back