PEAX Equipment

Older Remington 700

Rooster52

Just bought an older model Remington 700 in 243 Winchester topped with a Leupold scope. They don't make them like this anymore.Beautiful walnut stock and all in excellent condition.
Going in my collection !

Who owns one of these early model Remington 700 ' ? Great Rifle.

I have a beautiful walnut BDL in 22-250. Shoots like no other I have shot. Kind of why I am having a hard time not getting a 700 in the .30-06 that I am shopping for. Lots of brand options out there these days but tough to beat the feel of an old 700.

I have an early 70's 6mm that is a great shooter. The barrel is about done on it, though. The fit and finish on the older guns is not in the ball park with the new ones-sad. My brother has a 22-250 that is a really nice rifle, too. The new ones are a crapshoot.

I guess it depends on the definition of old. I've got a 700 Classic 220 Swift built in 1992. The Classic was built in only 1 caliber each year. I picked it up new in 97 at a little gun shop where a local had ordered it but never picked it up. I stopped by to grab some ammo, asked the owner if he had a 22-250 he said no. I told him I was in the market for a varmint rifle and he did the, pause, think, hold on a second, look at this. He said he'd been holding on to it for to long already and since I was in the market he'd let me buy it at his cost. I think I gave $450 with tax. It's a tack driver. I have to be a little careful as it has a sporter barrel and heats up quick but it's still my go to for varmints.

I found a 700 ADL 30-06 in 87' ($400)and I still use it every year. My main hunting gun. Tackdriver still,only ungraded. Scope, stock & trigger.
Debating getting a Weatherby or some sort of back up -06,but fit & finish of newer guns leave alot to be desired unless you go way up in quality.

Looks a lot like my .270 in adl deluxe that I got as a gift for Christmas from my parents in the early nineties. Good rifle filled lots of tags with that rifle most recently 3 lopes in Wyoming, love the fit and feel. Mines a little rougher than yours, too much abuse.

I have a 700 BDL purchased by a friend of my father's in the mid 1960's in .300 Win. mag. He gave the rifle to me about 10 years ago and asked me to kill something with it before he died. Happy to say he is still alive and enjoying my hunting reports as I have taken whitetails, caribou, and elk with his rifle. I just had the barrel replaced. My go-to western rifle.

I have a model 700 BDL in 243 I purchased when I got out of the service in 1972. I also have a model 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag that I purchased about 20 years ago and love both of these rifles.

I have a 700 BDL in 222 that my dad bought circa 1967. I shot hundreds of woodchucks with that gun in my teens and later. It shoots about an inch group with nothing being done to it. It originally had a 2-7 Weaver with flip mounts on it and was used that way for decades! Today, it sports a Leupold VX3 3.5-10. I live near the Remington factory in Ilion, NY and have picked up many rifle stocks over the years. FOr a project, I recently put the gun into a Model 700 Classic stock that I've had around for many years. The gun now shoots 1/2"! The VX3 is also a change from a VX2 3-9 that has been on it many years. I am certainly keeping the original stock and will eventually change it back...

It gets little actual hunting use anymore, as the decades have seen a fall in woodchuck populations with the rise in coyotes. But, I still love shooting it.

Dad shoots a 84' model in 06. Topped with an old wideview 3-9x33 Weaver scope. Thing shoots and looks great and has been the death of many a critter.

I just purchased the same gun in the same caliber about a month ago. Almost put a Leupold on it to but, went with the Vortex. It will be my Anti-lope gun. I shoot well with it, cause it doesn't rattle my cage near as much as my 7mm mag.

I found a great stainless Rem 700 barreled action from an older rifle and picked up one of the older BDL stocks for a song! I have finished the inlet, going to add a Red Pachmyar recoil bed, DEVCON bed and then it should be good to go!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back