Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Old Turkey

IndyBrad

The Indiana opener was Wed the 25th and got this guy at 9:30am. He had a buddy with him that was about the same size. It was raining till abut 7:30 and I new the travel rout of the 2 toms, so I set up an ambush. They didn't start gobbling till around 8 and were farther away that I expected. I stayed patient and they started coming my way very slowly|oo . I was in a blind with my wifes uncle and we had both of them in our sights. After the 2 shots, mine was a floppin, and his was a flyin. He shot right over his head.

Weighed 22 3/4lbs, had 1 3/8" spurs and a 10.5" beard. Think I might get this one mounted

Turkey2007001.jpg

Turkey2007005.jpg

Turkey2007006.jpg

Really nice Bird. I am hearing of a few guys missing this year. I wounder if it's because of really tight chokes and not knowing the gun or rushing the shot.

There's been alot of older birds taken in Indiana and the surrounding states this year. We had a bad hatch in 2005, so not alot of 2 year olds around. They said the hatch in 2004 was one of the best, so that probably explains the older birds. Mostly 2 year olds taken last year. Can't wait to get out west and go after some Meriams sometime. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could book a hunt, or find some good public ground that I don't have to scout alot, to have a decent chance at one.

Back