MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Old town discovery 119 sportsman

The "used" market in the Chicagoland is a joke. Everything is overpriced or junk if it is listed on the internet. Might find something if you look around at actual yard sales, but Craigslist and similar sites are worthless.

Heck yeah, man! I bought a jackson coosa for fishing and hunting! Hopefully you find one!

I have a 17' kevlar canoe with a lot more depth. I enjoy fishing in it but can't take a whole day sitting on my butt with legs outstretched. A real killer for these old bones. I will switch to paddling on my knees from time to time (wearing roofing gel kneepads) and that helps immensely. Getting out of the seat and on your knees would be very dicey in this little outfit. Might want to borrow someone's kayak and give it a try before committing to one of these.

I run a perceptions sit in kayak right now. I'm in need of the open floor plan and extra space. 7 year old daughter is itching to go. And she don't mind gators like nick does ;)

Ben thanks for the intel that's what I was wondering. I'm probably gonna just have to cough up the extra and buy new. Boomer that Jackson is a solid rig youre gonna enjoy that.

Ben thanks for the intel that's what I was wondering. I'm probably gonna just have to cough up the extra and buy new. Boomer that Jackson is a solid rig youre gonna enjoy that.
Why not just spraypaint an old fiberglass canoe? They're lighter, bigger, and cheaper.

Shane: That is only a 11' long. I don't think it is designed for two people with shifting weights. Both my dogs travel in mine and it's a much more stable craft. Still can be dicey. Have you consulted the manufacturer?

neffa: Mostly its a preference decision, but 11 ft.is actually about as long as I wish to go. My swamp hunting requires a lot of portaging over fallen trees, tight spaces that require ease of turning, and the seat on that oldtown is far more comfortable. I do appreciate your input because it would be a cheaper option.

Ontario: It's as stable or more stable than my current rig. I don't have gear with me other than shotgun, binos, and ammo belt, so my total weight with her would be maybe 270 lbs. manufacturer advises it can accommodate a small passenger, dog, and/or basic gear. I've watched several youtube channels review it. placing any combination of above mentioned items in the rig with them as they took it out on the water. Regardless this purchase will be made in the spring time and the summer will be spent practicing with the 2 of us in it regularly.

JDH I appreciate the link. I'm gonna have to purchase online form someone it seems.

I was just going to mention sportspal. Same idea as the radisson canoes. I always wanted one, next time I see one on craigslist i'm gonna snatch it up. I grew up in aluminum canoes with a flat bottom and a keel. I now also own a Wenonah fisherman. It's wide, quiet, and tough, slides over rocks in the river nicely, but not near as stable as my ancient grumman that I inherited from my grandfather. Last summer that thing(grumman) made it possible to feel comfortable with the wife and my two daughters, 2 & 5yrs who had never been in a canoe. It's loud and heavy, but very stable with the kids. This summer i'll add the puppy to the mix.

Sportspal are stable for sure but I hear they are not much fun to paddle over the foam flotation.

Sportspal are stable for sure but I hear they are not much fun to paddle over the foam flotation.
Yeah thats the trade off. I feel that my fisherman solo is harder to paddle than my grumman for the same reason. I guess it depends if you are solo or not.

Never had any trouble paddling my sportspal. Used it in rapids on rivers and surf off beaches. Sit backwards in the front seat. Use a kayak paddle.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back