Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Old Rifle & Shotgun Question

fishing4sanity

I'm hoping to confirm what these old guns are with the experts here. My father-in-law just passed away and my wife and her siblings were asking me what a couple of the guns are that he had. This shotgun was his father's. I'm guessing that due to rough condition and missing hammers and one firing pin assembly, this old Ithaca is sentimental value only. I never met my wife's grandfather and even though I like all guns, I'm guessing this would be an expensive rabbit hole to jump into and that it isn't compatible with new ammo.
IMG-2312.jpgIMG-2292.jpgIMG-2311.jpgIMG-2296.jpgIMG-2294.jpg

He also had an old military rifle that doesn't seem to have any family history or sentimental ties. The bayonet is something I could probably force on, but didn't want to try too hard. They may or may not be compatible, but I'm certain weren't made together. The rifle appears to be a Siamese Mauser and the bayonet I'm pretty certain is an old Polish made bayonet. Interesting rifle, but I told them it's most likely a somewhat low value item.
IMG-2299.jpgIMG-2301.jpgIMG-2302.jpgIMG-2304.jpgIMG-2310.jpgIMG-2305.jpgIMG-2298.jpgIMG-2297.jpg

Call Vintage Doubles. His shop is a few hours from you.
Thanks, I'll check with them. Unfortunately, some of the siblings are only interested in the value of an item and I don't think anyone is retiring on these old items. The normal rifles and shotguns I told my wife to just let the other siblings fight it out and that I don't need/want anything. I knew things would get ugly when my father-in-law passed away and that seems to be coming true. I keep telling my wife if there's something that truly has sentimental value and doesn't carry drama with it, that's fine, otherwise just walk away.

I think that Ithaca may be safe to shoot trap loads. Looks like it did not have Damascus twist barrel. "Nitro" seems to be the key word. Someone should be able to machine another firing pin fairly easily. The missing hammer may be more of a challenge. I suspect they were partially forged with the keyhole being machined. New parts can be chemically "weathered" to match the old gun's patina. Someone may have a hammer from a cannibalized derelict. Hopefully you can put it together.

My Africa hunting partner is building four rifles from Siamese Mausers. Two 45-70 and two .338.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back