Old Log Cabins & Pioneer Barns - Pictures.

Used to take a lot of photo's of old homesteads, barns and buildings, loved it but been quite a while now. Remember down in New Mexico I pulled into a rest area off the interstate and found a bunch of old Navajo ruins. Lost the photos in a house fire. That was pre digital days! Gonna have to start again. You guys getting these. Lot of really great wood laying around them that would make great frames for photos of the buildings.

3dvKPvGl.jpg

Photo of one of my old dogs framed in barnwood. Looks like the only one I have saved in my photo site!
vwDih6ol.jpg

Lot of these would look good on a coffee cup too. These are some of my dog's.
QdmxXvFl.jpg
\.

My house is full of photo's I framed from old wood I picked up. Poor people have poor ways!

Most of the "old stuff" around here has all rotted down to the ground or the government tore it down deliberately and dozed it all in to a hole when they got possession of the ground. This was still left from a grist mill / tourist camp ground in the 1920, and still occupied up to about 1975. THEN the government got hold of the grounds. Straight down hill until the state deliberately bull dozed every structure on the property and visitors were still using most of them to some degree or another.

CRV Cabin 33.jpg

CRV Cabin invasive species 09.jpg

Most of the "old stuff" around here has all rotted down to the ground or the government tore it down deliberately and dozed it all in to a hole when they got possession of the ground. This was still left from a grist mill / tourist camp ground in the 1920, and still occupied up to about 1975. THEN the government got hold of the grounds. Straight down hill until the state deliberately bull dozed every structure on the property and visitors were still using most of them to some degree or another.
That's a shame.

That reminded of this grist mill in S W Washington. Built in 1876 and they did some restoration work in the early 2000's.
Still in use for grinding corn and wheat. In the fall they also have a apple cider press they use.

Grist Mill December 201 9a-.JPG

Grist Mill December 201 9a-2.JPG

Last edited:
We have a few operable grist mills here but they are mostly in state run facility that think they can balance the budget with the next ticket sale.

I do like to look for old unrestored (free) mill sites along the rivers and in the forest. Many early farmers had a mill set up for grinding grain. Some with limited water would grind a while and then do the rest of their chores while the water built up again.

Early on a large eastern money concern sent a survey crew in to Indiana before it was a state looking for all the best mill sites and tried to buy them all up. Hoping to get rich off it, so many of the larger mills were built by the same people.

Cowboys Heaven cabin built in 1939 by Flying D Ranch on Gallatin National Forest near upper Cherry Creek as line shack for cattle roundup remained until vandalized and burned 1981.
It was situated in an idyllic meadow with a nearby creek and spring box for keeping groceries and cowboy beverages cool. The site of the spring box is still there for Greenhorn to chill his IPA.

Cowboys Heaven Picture (2).jpg

This is an "old" cabin I been working on and restoring for my daughter to live in. Been at it about a year now off and on. "Old" is only about 50 years in years but down to standing in the dirt and looking up at the sky INSIDE before we started ADDING instead of tearing out. Had to jack up the whole building and put a new sill all the way around before starting over inside.

Took this pic today as sort of a 1 year comparison.
1649474649061.png

Sometimes it feels like a toss up if you are going forward or backward with this stuff. I NEED to see where I've been sometimes to appreciate where I'm at.

This is an "old" cabin I been working on and restoring for my daughter to live in. Been at it about a year now off and on. "Old" is only about 50 years in years but down to standing in the dirt and looking up at the sky INSIDE before we started ADDING instead of tearing out. Had to jack up the whole building and put a new sill all the way around before starting over inside.

Took this pic today as sort of a 1 year comparison.
View attachment 218437

Sometimes it feels like a toss up if you are going forward or backward with this stuff. I NEED to see where I've been sometimes to appreciate where I'm at.
Cool! Where? ... and where you from? Show in upper right corner of your posts, please.

Before I jacked it up to replace the sill. The after is right after I put down that last piece of flooring. In between we ripped out absolutely everything between the 4 walls, put a new roof on, spray foam insulation the foundation and roof, plastic down on the dirt and gravel, built new floor and walls. Spray the entire inside of the house with power wash mold killing spray and had the bug man do his thing before we ever started putting any thing NEW back in. We spent today staining interior trim pieces until I ran out of stain.

before after b.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back