Old Iron

p_ham

I've got a soft spot for older rifle designs. I like the new stuff too, but it can be pretty "cookie cutter" today.

One of the actions pretty high up on my "intrigued by" list is the Krag-Jorgensen. A wonderfully odd design that's just about as smooth as you can get. It's far from perfect but it's quirks are quite charming.

The U.S. implemented several models of the Krag starting with the 1892 and ending with the 1899 Carbine.

It saw service in the Boxer Rebellion, Spanish-American War, Philippine-American War, and was issued to support troops during The Great War. They were also used to aid anti poaching efforts in Yellowstone, as well as fighting the Apache in Mew Mexico.

Chambered in .30 U.S. / U.S. Army / .30 Government / 30-40 Krag, it was the first smokeless cartridge employed by the United States military. It shot a 220gr round nose at approximately 2000fps.

I do a fair amount of work for a LGS here, and am known to take work on trade quite a bit. It's a horrible business model but it's good for my soul.

One such acquisition, if you hadn't guessed yet, was a Krag. This particular rifle had been sporterized (a win in my book) I suspect in the 20's or 30's based on the stock design and parts used. It still sports it's 30" barrel, which has an absolutely spotless bore. A Redfield front blade and a Lyman no.34 rear sight have been installed. The stock appears to have been hand carved. It sports it's military sling swivels. The Jostam recoil pad has all but disintegrated.

By enlarge I won't mess with anything on the rifle. The pad will get replaced with a buffalo horn butt plate, and the barrel band needs refit. Other than that, just a good cleaning and some oil is all the work I'll be doing to it. I'm completely in love with the stock it now wears. It has it's imperfections but it's blemishes are honest, done by a craftsman of decade's past.

I lucked into a partial box of older Core-Lokts and finally took it to the range after owning it for several months. Mild recoil, a bolt that practically cycles itself, and a less-than-inch group at 50yds (while missing the sight's eye cup) left a lasting smile. Here's hoping for a tag this year!

20240415_200349.jpg20240415_200357.jpg20240415_200406.jpg20240415_200424.jpg20240415_200527.jpg20240409_142022.jpg20240409_133906.jpg

That is one awesome rifle! I love the checkering. It shows skill, but clearly innovative and different.

I too have a sporterized Krag. It is the most modern design and only bolt rifle I own, and it is a hoot to shoot.

When there are rifles like these to be had for peanuts, I cannot begin to understand why people have to have the latest plastic/stainless mass-produced "platform" gun.

The one thing I do not like about this rifle is the trigger. You have any recommendations for improving the mile of creep and the heavy break?

Krag right.jpg

That is one awesome rifle! I love the checkering. It shows skill, but clearly innovative and different.

I too have a sporterized Krag. It is the most modern design and only bolt rifle I own, and it is a hoot to shoot.

When there are rifles like these to be had for peanuts, I cannot begin to understand why people have to have the latest plastic/stainless mass-produced "platform" gun.

The one thing I do not like about this rifle is the trigger. You have any recommendations for improving the mile of creep and the heavy break?

View attachment 323038
Huber Concepts makes a replacement trigger. It has adjustment for the 1st stage/creep and overtravel.
I'd recommend lightly stoning and polishing the sear surfaces too.

Completely agree with everything. Today’s cookie cutter guns are accurate yet lack in aesthetics and rarely come with sights. There’s a underserved market for wood-stocked sighted rifles. Especially now with firearm restrictions in many states. Retooling to turn out modern Savage 99, Rem 7600, M1 Garand. Maybe even in newer or historic straight wall cartridges.

What advantages does the 30-40 Kraig have over the 30-30. It's a round that I have always been interested in but never even handled.

Back