Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Old Hunting License Discovery

GoGriz

My wife’s grandfather was a game warden in Newport Beach, California in the 50’s and 60’s. He told stories of chasing deer and shooting ducks in what is now the back bay nature preserve (John Wayne Airport area) and coming home with lobster and fish every night (well before the place had millions of people to ruin it). He passed away many years ago but while cleaning out an old garage we found his hunting license from 1934. The license was actually tucked on the backside of a pretty neat button with a little holder for it. Thought I would share just for the heck of it:

5E118C8C-2DD9-402E-867F-AB48C36C2C3F.jpegD1CC680E-A2F6-4D86-8D76-AF74EF92A9DC.jpegA27BBD05-1491-4D1D-9929-2AC03845CEDE.jpeg

My wife’s grandfather was a game warden in Newport Beach, California in the 50’s and 60’s. He told stories of chasing deer and shooting ducks in what is now the back bay nature preserve (John Wayne Airport area) and coming home with lobster and fish every night (well before the place had millions of people to ruin it). He passed away many years ago but while cleaning out an old garage we found his hunting license from 1934. The license was actually tucked on the backside of a pretty neat button with a little holder for it. Thought I would share just for the heck of it:

View attachment 230429View attachment 230430View attachment 230431
That's awesome! The button is really special and in such incredible condition. It is certainly worth some money, though I can't imagine you would sell it.

I have my great uncle's hunting licenses from 1917 up to about 1921 (from the buttstock of his 97 Winchester, where they still remain).

That's awesome! The button is really special and in such incredible condition. It is certainly worth some money, though I can't imagine you would sell it.

I have my great uncle's hunting licenses from 1917 up to about 1921 (from the buttstock of his 97 Winchester, where they still remain).

The text on the right side of the 2nd one, "DANGER PERIOD JUNE 1 - SEPTEMBER 30" had me looking closer...took me a minute to figure out that it was referring to wildfires, lol. Very cool that you have these.

View attachment 230429View attachment 230430View attachment 230431
That is very cool and a good share. Never saw one of those and I've known some old timers in the area. I live in the area and I'd imagine there would have been a healthy deer population there once upon a time. Spotted bay bass are pretty much the only game here nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back