MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Old couple DIY first elk hunt

capttowboater

My wife and I are doing DIY archery hunt in Wyoming starting Sept 1.
She will be a “young” 61 in Oct. and I got over 3 years on her. This will be her first and probably only western hunt.
Myself I have been on two hunts and learned how difficult it is.
We both have been trying to get in the best shape we can for our age and could be a lot better than we are.
We will take it slow and do what are bodies will let’s us.
That said, we went and explored some of the areas we may hunt and camp and hike to see how we fare.
Anyway we are going to give a good hard effort and have at least 3 weeks dedicated to archery starting September 1
Will have our son come join a week after we get started to hunt with us which is also his first Western hunt
I got the OnX chip for my Gps plus a inreach for emergencies and to stay in contact with family
Got maps and any info that I could find for the areas we are starting out at.
We got a general tag after giving up, buying pts. For another area that we wanted to hunt. With pt. creep and advancing age decided we better go now before our health really starts down hill.

So after ruling out “Griz” country decided on general units in southern Wyoming.
Problem is deciding which unit to focus on first.
My computer skills and e scouting are lacking.
Not sure what I am looking at
Got maps and understand what can be rough country when I see all those lines really get close together. Pretty sure elk will be in those rough areas.
So trying to find where elk hang out first part of Sept will be a challenge.
We spent 2 weeks camping and hiking in July in some of the areas that we thinking of hunting.
Planning on using my camper as a base camp and taking a tent to set up in places that are harder to reach and cut down on long drives in darkness over rough and unfamiliar roads.
Anyway we will enjoy the experience whether we are successful or not
Main thing would just for my wife to hear some bugles and if anything got in range of a bow that would be icing on the cake.
If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would appreciated them so much.
We would love to meet any other hunters who could be in the same area we are.
Just shoot me a pm and I’ll check on them whenever have any cell service.
Just wondering what kind of pressure general units get during archery season?
Any info would be beneficial.
Thanks for reading and hope everyone has a safe and successful season.

Never hunted WY but I truly wish y'all the best of luck. I hope you all tag out and share the pics and story afterwards.

We hunted southern WY last year I will pm you as soon as I get a chance. Good elk numbers just a lot of pressure.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back