MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Oklahoma Turkey changes

WildWill

Heads up for anyone who hunts or plans to hunt Oklahoma turkey season there are several changes to the regulations and season. The changes include eliminating all fall rifle hunting, reducing the bag limit to one turkey statewide per season (no more than two a year one in the fall and one in spring), changing the season to April 16th- May 16th, and setting youth season as the weekend before opener, and more. I'll miss not being able to get a rio and eastern in the same spring without leaving my home state and it'll be the first time in over a decade I won't be chasing turkey on April 6th which has been the opener for as long as I have been alive. But honestly I think it's a step in the right direction our Turkey numbers across the state have been dropping sense the late 2000s and earlier in some areas. The easterns in the SE part of the state have dropped significantly and we are now seeing the same in central and western Oklahoma. This wet spring will only make things worse next year poult survival is way down this year.

I saw that.
I made sure to leave my thoughts with the ODWC when they sent out the opportunity for the public to make comments. I am in full support to restrict the harvest limits as well as the date changes. Its sad to see and hear the numbers are dropping. Hopefully these laws will make some positive changes soon. Kansas went to a 1 tom statewide limit a couple years ago with the exception of the 2 northeast counties so its not just Oklahoma suffering. Arkansas has been down for several years. Texas has a 4 bird limit. I wish they would make some changes to the bag limit there as well.

I shot 2 there this spring on our lease, when we seen this i told buddy i wasnt doing it again. It was obvious this spring that the turkey population has a issue. Hopefully they figure it out and numbers back to what they were just few years ago.

I looked last year and it said I could get two turkey tags and a weekend fishing for something like 100$ NR… looks like that deal won’t be on the table anymore.? Still looking forward to visiting and trying to slam some Largemouth. If I can manage to get a turkey tag that’d be really something! My in laws have some land out near Norman I think it is…

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back