Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Okies adventure in Wyoming

WildWill

My first attempt at a big write up so bare with me. This adventure started last year when my niece and her long time boyfriend Jon got engaged and set a wedding date for mid September. I knew I would be expected at the wedding so I tried to plan my western trip dates accordingly. I also had to figure out a wedding gift. Jon has expressed his interest in going out west with me many times and especially killing a elk. I offerd to split my 6 elk points in Wyoming with Jon on a nice type 4 tag and he jumped at the chance. We also tried to add a few antelope doe tags to the hunt. Me and Jon had no luck in the antelope draw but my friend Tanner managed to pull 2 in a unit I hunted in 2019. The Summer was spent shooting, hiking, and helping Jon pick out gear. Before I knew it I was watching my niece marry a young man I think very highly of.

We set off for Wyoming on October 1st stayed in Fort Collins the first night before reaching our first camp site south of Casper the next day. We set up camp and went looking for antelope. 20221002_160014.jpg

We managed one unsuccessful stalk that evening before calling it quits early and heading back to camp to cook a neck roast from a buck I shot last year.20221005_142651.jpg20221005_174711.jpg

The next morning we headed out to get my friend Tanner his first antelope! Within the first 30 minutes of light we found a doe and buck together in a good place to stalk. We came around to get the wind in our face and sun at our back. As we crested the ridge within less then 300 yards of the antelope a thick and sudden fog engulfed the antelope first and then us. After a moment of frustration we shrugged it off and headed for the truck. Just as we decided to head a little further down the unit to see if we could escape the fog it disappeared. We quickly turned around made sure the antelope were still there and then repeated the stalk. As Tanner was setting up for the shot fog began to move in again fortunately not as thick. The shot was at 306 yards with a Winchester 70 270 shooting a 150gr nosler Partitions. The first shot was low but the second hit her heart and she dropped. As we were cutting her up we spotted a large group further away on public in a good area to sneak up on. Me and Jon told Tanner to go for it and we'd finish cutting up the first. Just as we finished we heard two spaced shots so we made our way up the hill. We found Tanner cutting up his second antelope killed in less than a hour. We finished the job headed to the truck then town for ice before heading back to camp. We fished that evening and decided to move camp to the elk unit the next day around 4 hours away. We had some ribeye's over campfire for a celebratory dinner.imagejpeg_0(18).jpgIMG_2592.jpg20221003_204043.jpg

The morning of October 4th we broke camp down and headed to SW Wyoming and our elk unit. We got camp setup later then we wanted and just hung out that evening the opener wasn't for a few days. We spent the next few days glassing trying to put the pieces together. The night before opener we were very optimistic about our chances.20221005_110415.jpg20221007_172923.jpg20221009_192450.jpg

Opening morning found us walking in before first light to setup near were we had been watching a large herd move off their hill in the morning and into the thick juniper of a creek bottom for the day. Right as the sun started to lighten the sky we heard it. No not the majestic bugle of a bull but the rumble of a side by side then a second and a third. By 9:30 we had heard 9 shots and they had only killed one elk bunch of slobs. We left the valley in disgust and headed for a steep valley that we had been watching elk feed every evening. It hadn't been our first choice due to steepness but now it would work in keeping out the ATV's. That evening just after 6 o'clock three cows and a calf fed out in front of us giving my new nephew a shot at a elk. He made a great shot at 267 yards with a model 70 Winchester in 270 with a 130gr ttsx hitting the heart. She fell within 20 yards of the hit and so the work began. We managed to get it all out just before midnight.IMG_2701.jpgIMG_8310.jpgIMG_2722.jpgimagejpeg_0(19).jpg

We were all beat and slept in that morning then headed to town for a meal we didn't have to cook. That evening we glassed the valley were the side by sides had ruined our first morning trying to get a game plan together. Fortunately the locals and their side by sides were absent come Monday and we found that we had the valley to ourselves for the next few days. We spent those days playing cat and mouse with a large herd. On the 11th I was 475 yards from a cow but just didn't feel comfortable with the shot. IMG_1802.jpg

We had dialed in the morning and evening movements of the herd and had decided it would be easier to get in front of them in the evening. Wednesday afternoon I was setup on a high knoll overlooking the area I suspected the elk would head to feed before dark. They appeared from the juniper a little after 5 and fed slowly to me eventually working between me and a stand of junipers blocking my view. I got my rifle up on my tripod and waited for what seemed like a eternity just as I began to worry that they'd changed direction the bull and a cow came into view. I ranged the cow while trying to ignore the huge bull at 102 yards. I put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and squeezed. My first shot was a little high but a double lung. I fired two more times as she ran hitting the gut due to lack off lead and the neck due to excessive lead she fell with the 3rd shot. I was using a Ruger American in 30-06 with a 200gr Partitions. As I headed down to look at my elk I found a shed putting the cherry on top of a great day. The guy's had stayed at camp to let me do my thing so I sent a in reach message and began cutting up. I met them on the trail headed out with my first load we stashed it then headed back for the rest. We didn't get it all out till around 1AM.20221012_192748.jpg20221013_144854.jpg20221014_085139.jpg

Really awesome write up! I thoroughly enjoy reading about these hunts as I plan and prepare for my first trip out west...thank you for sharing and congratulations on the successful harvests.

Back