Oh Wow!!! We got 22 Salmon back to Idaho....

Re-named after the USGS was petitioned by the Chamber of Commerce in Cascade, as they thought "Lake" would portray a more inviting image..... It still turns Yellow in August when the Algae blooms, due to too much nitrogen run-off from all the Welfare Rancher's cattle....

Are you referring to the speculation frenzy created by Tamarack and the associated lousy deal the school kids of Idaho got from the State Land Board???

Did you hear where the Dept of Parks is going to remove a campground/boat launch over there, and allow Tamarack to build a Marina???

What do you suppose a Marina will look like along about July 20 in a low-water year???? :rolleyes:

That place is going to crash hard. I have heard Brundage is worried, but I don't see how. The snow sucks there compared to McCall.

What lousy school deal? Did the state exchange the land or are they leasing it? I didn't pay attention because I figured it would blow away.

And you were saying there is no beach-front property in Idaho.

No doubt about it Dworshak absolutely stopped fish runs, there is no way around, over or through that monster of concrete. We lost alot of great elk winter range from what I hear as well when that thing went in.

I'm absolutely sure that dams hurt salmon runs, but to say they are the only cause isn't accurate. There are tons of irrigation issues all along the snake and columbia systems that are outside of Idaho's reach. That and the solution is to get rid of four dams; aren't there 9 dams along the columbia system? How was it decided that four dams are problems, the rest are ok? We could cut some of the huge commercial fishing off the coast that would no doubt help. Why is it that we allow the commercial harvest of these endangered species? What about the tribal gillnets that stretch the columbia, those certainly aren't good for the fish. The seals are farther up the columbia every time I go by it they are taking a heavy toll on the salmon but the tree huggers won't even let you talk of reductions in seal populations. Also what of the swarms of terns that devour the smolt where the columbia pours into the ocean? There are lots of problems for snake river salmon and one of them is dams, but to say that dams are the only cause of declines just won't cut it.

Originally posted by ElkGunner:
Tone,

We can do studies on Redfish Lake, and we have, and it is fine for the Sockeyes to return. Same with other lakes in that region.

We have forced the ranchers to keep their cattle out of the creeks, we have made the loggers quit clearcutting to the creeks. We have made the farmers change their diversions out of the rivers. We have done as much as can be done in Idaho to allow the fish to return. Can you think of anything else we need to do???

Study after study has shown the dams must go. Why would that not be the way to proceed????
Holy sheeiet I finally have found 1 thing I agree with Gunner on 100%! Never thought I would see the day! But you forgot to mention all the Hatchery programs to help them and the Millions of dollars that ain't done nothing!

TheTone

Did you read the post I put up "New plan rules out Dam breaching"? You make a lot of valid points in yer above post! I'm not an Idiot like Gunner and know the Dams will never be Breached, to much money involved to ever have that happen.

Originally posted by TheTone:

That and the solution is to get rid of four dams; aren't there 9 dams along the columbia system? How was it decided that four dams are problems, the rest are ok? We could cut some of the huge commercial fishing off the coast that would no doubt help. Why is it that we allow the commercial harvest of these endangered species? What about the tribal gillnets that stretch the columbia, those certainly aren't good for the fish. The seals are farther up the columbia every time I go by it they are taking a heavy toll on the salmon but the tree huggers won't even let you talk of reductions in seal populations. Also what of the swarms of terns that devour the smolt where the columbia pours into the ocean? There are lots of problems for snake river salmon and one of them is dams, but to say that dams are the only cause of declines just won't cut it.
Tone,
Do a bit of research, as you will likely beleive the answer more if you figure it out. But a few clues as to where to start.

Ask why the return rates of Columbia Salmon are much higher than for Snake River Salmon (many times higher!!!).

Ask how the seals were trained only to eat the Snake River Salmon and not the Columbia stocks. :rolleyes:

Ask how the terns were able to only prey on the smolts from the Snake River stocks and they allow the Columbia runs to pass unharmed. :rolleyes:

Ask to see the designs of the Gill nets to see how they let the Columbia runs pass unharmed, but decimate the Snake River runs.... :rolleyes:

Remember, all the "harms" you brought up (and are continually brought up in the bars in Lewistown) are able to affect both the Columbia runs and the Snake Runs, but don't... :(

I think if you answer these questions, you will likely come to the same conclusion as 90% of the other scientists in the region, that the Dams are causing the problems.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back