Oh well, I tried. Guess non resident hunters don't need any help!

Wow, Agree with all the responses. I would love to have had such an offer. I finally went with a guide this year because I know I would have my hands full if I stuck an elk by myself. I ride also, but I was reluctant to tow my horses to CO. or ID. That camp looks like a great setup! I hope you were able to enjoy it. This non~res would have been talking to you almost daily!

My hats off to you for your kindness and generosity to strangers. The world could use a few more people like yourself. Also, I've got some more of that delicious Wisconsin beer and a couple two three usinger sausage's if you ever looking to help out another Cheesehead! ;)

Well "standard_lengthy", This past weekend 3 cheeseheads from my former hometown in Wisconsin came by on their vacation tour of Colorado. In that we enjoy guests here at the ranch, one tried out my horse for a bit, (but my gelding didn't especially take to her style), and I took them for some tours on the ATV's, in spite of the foul weather. I wanted to take them on a windshield tour of the scenery around here, but they really wanted more ATVing in the mountains. At least the Aspens were still beautiful. I also picked up the tab for prime rib dinners X 4 in town. We just enjoy having guests and sharing the backcountry I suppose? They're on their way now, and they didn't even drop off any Wisconsin cheese, Spotted Cow or Leinenkugel beer! Rude? Nah, they're welcome to come back next year as they threatened to do.
As for me, I haven't even started my Elk hunt this year, as the 2nd rifle season is the only one I could take advantage of. It's been a weird weather year here, so not sure what to expect 3 weeks from now? Wouldn't be surprised to see deep snow where I'm headed.
For 2018, it's way too early for me to think about that, and if I'll volunteer to help/assist someone? I guess I'd like to get 2017 behind me first before I go thinking about that!

I can surely attest to how you feel. About 10 years back I met some guys from Iowa I was basically trading them time at my beach house for time on their property for Whitetail hunting. They came down stayed at my beach house I guided them we got tons of fish i showed them all kind of cool scenery and stuff that they have never seen before. When it came time for my turn I never heard from them again. You can't blame yourself for doing the right thing. As long as you can sleep at night with a clear conscious that's all that matters. I would do it again and I would extend that invitation to anybody on this site. Finding this site and talking to some of the guys on here it's been extremely enjoyable for me. I'm headed to Wyoming for the first time ever to hunt Antelope next week. That experience never would have happened without Randy newberg's videos and some of you guys that have given me some great advice

Id kill to have some help like that when I come west for elk. Not many left like you. Sorry for the rude members who did this.

So I am new to this forum and made my 1st post last week asking for guidance on my 1st Colorado Archery Elk hunt and while reading thru old posts stumbled onto this one. It is nice to know there are still good people walking this earth and a shame those hunters didn't take you up on your offer! You def went above and beyond! Shoot I am just looking for tips and hints! I served myself, my son is currently serving, but unfortunately just because someone served in the Military, it doesn't make them a good person. That is def not how I was raised nor how I raised my son. Where I am from (Oklahoma) your word and a handshake still mean something. At the very least just be honest. Anyway, my son and I were supposed to come out the last two years for our 1st Elk hunt. He got deployed to Afghanistan and was gone a yr returning this last Oct 2018. (Not enough time to prep for mt hunt!) So here we are, finally going the last week of September archery hunting. It will be myself, my son, his buddy he met on deployment, and 1 other gentlemen. We are looking at DIY OTC hunt in Unit 78. The boys are in great shape and for an almost 42yr old I'm doing ok. Working hard on getting better by September! We were thinking of setting a base camp at Bruce Spruce Ranch campgrounds and going to trailheads and hiking 2-3 miles off them. None of us have ever Elk hunted. I am a pretty accomplished Whitetail hunter, but realize hunting Elk in high country is a whole new world and challenge. I would appreciate any general guidance and advice on the area. I can handle constructive criticism too and I will respond! Thanks in advance!

Honest Okie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back