Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Off Season Scouting Question

David58

We live about 50 miles from the area in the unit we hope to hunt in 2021. We had success there earlier in November, but did so in part from luck and in part from advice obtained here.

I really like to know the area I hunt. In 30 years in Oregon, I drew a deer tag in 'our' unit most years, and got to the point where I knew the land, and the map just stayed in the map pocket on my pack. We had success this year without that knowledge of the ground, but for future years I would like to have a better handle on the lay of the land.

I usually hike with my dogs, and would figure on having them with me while I learn the land. Will I impact elk movement in the area by traipsing around on foot? I don't plan to be out there once bow season starts, as I ain't scouting so much as getting a handle on the terrain and where elk hang out up till September.

What do you think?

Hike away. It won’t hurt a thing unless you stomp through their bedding area each day.

Your being out there with your dog won't have any effects.

Elk don't stay in the same areas yearly, even from month to month and just because you see sign, trampled trails and even large numbers of elk in April doesn't give you any certainty they will be there in Sept. So many things effect where elk are at any given time of year (habitat, birthing, predators, hunt pressure, rut activity and more). The best way in my eyes to scout an area you plan on coming back to year after year is to set cameras out and leave them out yearly. This means checking them yearly as well (I know, work!). You will get some pretty solid patterns year after year of where elk rotate and spend time based on their needs (food, water, shelter, sanctuary, predator population, birthing, rut, hunt pressure). You get the idea. For most, including myself this can be difficult but can pay really big dividends. Been retired 4 years now and doing this has really pushed my Elk IQ up. Even after hunting for over 40 years. Patterning local elk populations can be a huge part of resident hunter success and can give you a solid idea where you want to hunt, what weapon you choose and what season you choose to hunt that area.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back