Yeti GOBOX Collection

Odd weather for Alaska predicted.......

I should flyout on the 22 of August and return on the 1rst or second of Sept.

I do plan on getting the hunt on video, and will take lots of pics, though I still don't have a big zoom lens for my camera. There will be two others with me, so a video of the final stalk and shot should I be lucky enough to get the chance is the plan. Then I will send it to Moose Nutz Productions and pay Moosie to add all the sound effects and special effects! ;)

Grim......I am taking a Browning 338 Magnum and will be shooting Nosler Partitions.....they always find a lot of sheep in this area, but I need a large full curl, not borderline, because my sheep judging ability is very limited :rolleyes:

...the plan is to base camp 8 miles in, then spike from there as we locate sheep. The method has been very productive in this spot for them the last four years or so......hopefully luck will hold and I will get my chance.

Thanks for the luck guys.....I will sure need it after my last hunt up there......temps at almost 90 for 3 weeks straight! :eek:
DS

Just went out and purchased a new cam corder battery, with no memory loss for recharging it before it's dead and also a 200mm zoom lens.not what the big boys have but it will get me some decent photos of some sheep and Alaskan mountainside.
.......I'll try it out tomorrow in Yellowstone......
DS

DS, Are you sure your not already up here? Its been hotter than blazes.

This is Alaska?
Higher than normal temperatures inspire frolic

By Katie Pesznecker
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: August 2, 2002)

All around town this week, electronic signs flashed numbers that have everyone talking.

Seventy-four. Seventy-nine. Eighty-one.

The numerals varied. But they all added up to the same sizzling word: hot.

It has been a simmering summer week in Anchorage. Official readings, which are recorded at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, were in the upper 70s, setting records Tuesday and Wednesday and crowding the high mark for Thursday. On the east side of town, unofficial readings consistently reached into the low 80s.

A strong high-pressure system in the northwest is holding warm air over the state, said Dave Goldstein, a National Weather Service forecaster. The temperatures and blue skies are unusual for this time of year, he said.

"August usually begins the cloudy period," Goldstein said.

The only clouds aloft Thursday were isolated docile puffs that kept mostly to themselves, hugging the horizon like they knew they were unwelcome. Anchorage's Town Square teemed with life, and it seemed everyone was smiling and wearing shorts.

People strolled with coffee and water bottles in hand. Flowers burst with hues of bright fuchsia and tangerine orange and robin's-egg blue. Sprinklers switched back and forth over silky green grass.

Beside the fountain, Morgen and Margie Crow relaxed with three of their five sons. The youngest, 1-year-old Mark, blinked lazily from his stroller.

Morgen Crow said he started the day at the office, a few blocks away.

"But the kids were wanting to get out," he said.

Nearby, 2-year-old Morry Crow ran circles, shouting at his 14-year-old brother E.B., "Catch me, catch me!"

Like a good big brother, E.B. chased obligingly, bear-hugging Morry upon capture, then tossing his little brother playfully in the air and catching him again.

"What more can you ask for?" asked Margie Crow, smiling toward the sky behind a pair of sunglasses.

Seated not far away in shade-speckled grass were Michigan couple Pat Tyro and Bill Pessel.

It was their third day visiting Anchorage, part of a three-week romp through Alaska to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. They had zero complaints about the weather.

"It's been blowing our minds," said Tyro, a confessed fan of warm climates who was wary when her husband suggested visiting Alaska. "Our friends and relatives have said it's rainy and cloudy in Alaska, but as long as you've got the right clothes, you're fine. We see this and we're, like, yes!"

"This is gorgeous," Pessel added. "To me, this is perfect."

At Valley of the Moon Park on West 17th Avenue, couples hauled coolers and staked out picnic tables while others biked and walked Chester Creek Trail.

In a wide stretch of grass, 23 first- and second-graders from a summer YMCA program shrieked and squealed, running circles and chasing one another. There was no apparent goal or set of rules in mind except to stay in the sun.

Normally they'd be indoors, said Cheryl Chancey, one of their counselors.

"This is a much better use of their energy," she said.

Other kids scurried over play equipment like busy ants. Seated nearby, Laurie and Mark Lacy, both wearing in-line skates, took a break while son Kyle, 4, played on the towering playground structure, scaling the ladders and zipping down the slide.

Laurie Lacy, a stay-at-home mom, said the weather demanded they be outdoors. On Wednesday, she took Kyle to Lake Hood. She had lounged in the sunshine tanning while he built sand castles.

"Or mud castles," she said. "That's the first time we've gone to a lake since we've been here."

And the Lacys have been here awhile. Fifteen years, Mark Lacy said. "I think this is the best summer so far," he added.

Across Alaska, cities and villages are reporting higher than normal temperatures.

The past few days have seen high temperatures in the mid- to upper-70s in Fairbanks and the Matanuska-Susitna area. Palmer marked an 80-degree high Wednesday. Kodiak has peaked in the mid-70s.

Goldstein said the summery weather could last several days. Temperatures today could reach 90 degrees in the Susitna Valley, he said.

But here's a scene killer: Some low clouds and fog are hanging over parts of Prince William Sound, south of Resurrection Bay in Seward, off the shores of Kenai and around Kodiak Island.

If the wind blows inland, those clouds could sweep right on up over the rest of the state, Goldstein said.

Reporter Katie Pesznecker can be reached at [email protected] or 907 257-4589.

I don't wanna hear no bad news...this will be a sweet hunt.......by the book...clean kill, easy pack out, mounted trophy..no milkers on this one please ;)
DS

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back