Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

October travel plans

.270Rem

Our planned duck/pheasant trip to SD is still a go and I am considering going out through Nebraska and driving into the South end of the Black Hills before our hunt so my Father and I can see some sights. I've been in the Black Hills before and had a blast. What spots would you recommend as worth seeing, good places to get a room for the night, or the can't miss restaurants if you were traveling through NW Nebraska or the Black Hills in SD? I have looked over info on Fort Robinson SP and the Museum of the Fur Trade in Nebraska. I want to wander a little in Custer SP and hope to find some elk. Of course Mt. Rushmore is a must see especially since my Dad hasn't seen it.

We are hunting near Wall, SD, so we will probably take in Badlands NP and the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands too once we get up that way.

Can any provide details on the general trend in pheasant or sharptsil numbers?

Custer S.P. has nice little cabins in their campground. Drive the wildlife loop road to see elk, bison, pronghorn, whitetails, mule deer, etc.

Our planned duck/pheasant trip to SD is still a go and I am considering going out through Nebraska and driving into the South end of the Black Hills before our hunt so my Father and I can see some sights. I've been in the Black Hills before and had a blast. What spots would you recommend as worth seeing, good places to get a room for the night, or the can't miss restaurants if you were traveling through NW Nebraska or the Black Hills in SD? I have looked over info on Fort Robinson SP and the Museum of the Fur Trade in Nebraska. I want to wander a little in Custer SP and hope to find some elk. Of course Mt. Rushmore is a must see especially since my Dad hasn't seen it.

We are hunting near Wall, SD, so we will probably take in Badlands NP and the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands too once we get up that way.

Can any provide details on the general trend in pheasant or sharptsil numbers?
Couple of my usual recommendations:

• Custer state park has cabins you can rent. If there is one available that's not a bad way to go
  • Check out Spearfish Cannon if you have time. The trees should be turned and that makes for the most scenic drive in all of SD
  • You can check out sturgis while you're up there if you want to see where the biker rally takes place
  • Everyone knows about Rushmore, and Crazy horse, but there are other tourist stuff going on in that world too. Reptile gardens, funky angle house, etc.
  • Best burgers is probably Black Hills Burger and Bun Co in Custer, SD. I'd recommend the buffalo burger worth the extra couple bucks IMO
  • Love the badlands. I'd spend time enjoying them. Badlands at sun up or sun down is special to say the least. With chasing pheasants you may only get to see sun up, but that's still good

As for numbers. SD stopped doing their brood survey for pheasants this year, so no statistical data to help with numbers this year. Not sure how the drought is playing into it all either. Wall is pretty far west for the great pheasant habitat, but probably getting in decent sharptail and maybe even chicken country.

Good luck!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back