NW Oregon Roosevelt’s

Cool pictures thanks for sharing. I spent 4 early rifle seasons chasing elk in circles in the THICK stuff in the Tioga unit. We killed a couple elk there but we are done with that stuff. A guy can only take so much reprod. LOL!

Cool pictures thanks for sharing. I spent 4 early rifle seasons chasing elk in circles in the THICK stuff in the Tioga unit. We killed a couple elk there but we are done with that stuff. A guy can only take so much reprod. LOL!

Ya , the reprod jungle is a pain and is a safe haven for elk ,seems like the Big Bulls live in that crap year round and never come until the rut ,

For those not Familiar, with the reprod jungle , it’s replanted trees about 10-15 years give or take after an areas been logged, looks like this to walk trough , these are photo clips from my 2019 archery elk hunt , there was a 5 point bull in there bugling and I recorded it for the guys , I eventually found him bedded, 60-70 yds ahead in a small opening I could see him but didn’t have a shot , had to clear 10-15 yds and one last set of branches for a small window , knocked an arrow only to realize my release was still in the truck . Not my best moment , And all that hard work to work through all that crap to actually find the bull , I was sick to my stomach for awhile, I’ve since forgiven myself.

254C4340-D6CB-4796-AAB7-CB0B5C9D7269.jpeg5F83374E-2D33-42A3-A357-AED4163CCD9C.jpeg

Last edited:
For those not Familiar, with the reprod jungle , it’s replanted trees about 10-15 years give or take after an areas been logged, looks like this to walk trough
View attachment 225762View attachment 225763
For those not Familiar, with the reprod jungle , it’s replanted trees about 10-15 years give or take after an areas been logged, looks like this to walk trough
View attachment 225762View attachment 225763
Man you just gave me flashbacks. Add in more rain than I've ever seen in a 5 day period and rhododendron brush and it's all a big bull haven. The elk were think in places I couldn't even crawl through. We dogged a lot for my dad and uncle. I just got to a point where all we could do is laugh.

Last year was my first time going after blacktail, and I’ve been thinking about trying western elk…but threads like this don’t do much to talk me in to it lol. At least it’s not just me cursing at the blackberries and scotch broom thickets out there. Been a few times I got so turned around that I was very thankful for bringing a compass in my pack. But seeing those pictures, it’s hard to not want to get myself a tag anyway!

Last year was my first time going after blacktail, and I’ve been thinking about trying western elk…but threads like this don’t do much to talk me in to it lol. At least it’s not just me cursing at the blackberries and scotch broom thickets out there. Been a few times I got so turned around that I was very thankful for bringing a compass in my pack. But seeing those pictures, it’s hard to not want to get myself a tag anyway!

ONX is an amazing tool for bush wacking through that crap .

Now that I’m in Montana , I can’t go out in the Roosevelt Elk Woods and post all the pictures from our adventures, but my buddy John finally went out and played around in one of our favorite areas and sent me these pictures from his adventure today, Enjoy !!!!
View attachment 225748View attachment 225749View attachment 225750View attachment 225751View attachment 225752View attachment 225753
Hope tView attachment 225754
Nice pictures.
Hope to be hunting out of Seaside in November.

Sounds like you know the deal, 1st hunt the 4 day.
My son shot a nice bull there last season.
On the 4th day on the drive in side after hunting the first 3 days on the walk in side. Go figure.

Sounds like you know the deal, 1st hunt the 4 day.
My son shot a nice bull there last season.
On the 4th day on the drive in side after hunting the first 3 days on the walk in side. Go figure.

Roads don’t bother Roosevelt’s. There’s so many in the coast range it’s just normal to them.
28356E00-3E34-46B1-BBC9-AB3F2B32BFFD.jpegD46C9275-6D6A-4A91-A25D-7F3E933082BF.jpeg

I’ve tagged out on Rosie’s in both the 1st and 2nd rifle season , Some people prefer the first because the elk herds are still together and haven’t been shot at yet and sometimes you’ll find more bulls still hanging with the cows.

2nd season I had friends that liked that because of the 3 xtra days to hunt.

Either way a little good luck 🍀 is what ya need. I hunted first season rifle last year and found elk every day but 1 on my four day hunt scouted for two days prior and in the end every heard I found didn’t have a legal bull.
I put a herd to bed that had a nice bull Friday before the opening day , and sneaking in down the Loggin Road right at daylight to get to the edge of the clear cut and relocate him and wouldn’t you know it the freaking herd was standing in the logging road 70 yards in right in front of me with the wind blowing right down the road along the edge of the cut , had they been in the clear-cut or any other place the wind was perfect I probably would’ve got my bull, but nope they were standing on my side of the logging road and I tried to find him he must’ve been just to the side of the cows , I had one scotch broom I was hiding behind on the side of the logging road in the ditch and couldn’t move or they would see me , I knew I had less than a minute before they winded me , 300 yd clear cut at the end of a logging road and I had the only way in , and the elk just happened to be standing just in the one place that morning that was to my disadvantage, bad luck ☹️

Last edited:
Ahhh coastal flashbacks of my years on the Rogue chasing Roosies through the reprod, vine maple, tan oak, broom and gorse. Seemed like we were always a step behind or had some kind shit wrapped around our limbs or twisted up in the axles lol…eastside is simpler but I miss those big blocky bodies!

Roads don’t bother Roosevelt’s. There’s so many in the coast range it’s just normal to them.
View attachment 225837View attachment 225838

I’ve tagged out on Rosie’s in both the 1st and 2nd rifle season , Some people prefer the first because the elk herds are still together and haven’t been shot at yet and sometimes you’ll find more bulls still hanging with the cows.

Either way a little good luck 🍀 is what ya need. I hunted first season rifle last year and found elk every day but 1 on my four day hunt scouted for two days prior and in the end every heard I found didn’t have a legal bull.
I put a herd to bed that had a nice bull Friday before the opening day , and sneaking in down the Loggin Road right at daylight to get to the edge of the clear cut and relocate him and wouldn’t you know it the freaking herd was standing in the logging road 70 yards in right in front of me with the wind blowing right down the road along the edge of the cut , had they been in the clear-cut or any other place the wind was perfect I probably would’ve got my bull, but nope they were standing on my side of the logging road and I tried to find him he must’ve been just to the side of the cows , I had one scotch broom I was hiding behind on the side of the logging road in the ditch and couldn’t move or they would see me , I knew I had less than a minute before they winded me , 300 yd clear cut at the end of a logging road and I had the only way in , and the elk just happened to be standing just in the one place that morning that was to my disadvantage, bad luck ☹️
I hunted the "Seaside" area a couple seasons back (2nd season) in a walk-in area and had a great time. Lot's and lots of hiking but also saw lot's of elk every day, mostly cows and spikes. I took a gamble and chose to hunt on Thanksgiving rather than heading over to see the in-laws and lucked out. No one else parked at the gate and spotted a decent bull at the first spot I checked. Literally raised my binoculars and immediately saw a bull just sitting out in some young reprod all by himself. Couldn't believe it actually.

Took a rest on a stump, settled in, and was able to hit him from across the canyon with the .06. Very steep country with a stream at the bottom, so going straight down and back up the other side was not really an option for me. Had to hike around to get to him and took a little while to find him in the reprod (looks a lot different when looking down into it from above instead of across the canyon!). Finally located him, snapped a couple quick pics and got to work skinning and quartering him out. Got everything in game bags and cooling and packed out what I could, getting back to my truck after dark. Luckily, have a friend who hunts the same area on horseback and got him to help help me with the rest the next morning.

Biggest lesson (aside from less hunters on Thanksgiving day): never hunt a coast range walk-in area (for elk) solo again, lol! Or at least not that far from the gate. Still, it justified missing Thanksgiving, especially because the father-in-law loves the summer sausage and jerky he gets haha. So wife was cool with it in the end, pheww!

View attachment 225837View attachment 225838

Yes, we think the same, try and get 'em in the early hunt. Hopefully 4 days will be enough, Getting there I'll be coming off of 10 days of hunting in MT. In this brushy country I am sure I will get tired in that amount of time! Would love to notch a tag in this unit with the Pacific Ocean in view. Very pretty country and not too far to get there, about a 2 hour drive from home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back