Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NV Elk Down

Thanks all for celebrating with me.

We grilled up the tenderloins tonight and it was a fine meal. We eat our meat fairly rare so you could almost cut it with a fork, I have two boys that are 14 and 16 so needless to say the meat went down pretty quick.

More info on some of the comments are as follows:

It was a pretty warm day but cooling off nicely as she went down.

I broke her down in the traditional OYOA gutless manner. Kind of a wrestling match being solo on this trip. Used my bow as a Gin Pole (minus the pulley) to prop up each leg for the under cutting and skinning.

Best to do this before rigor mortis sets in but I was a bit late having to hike to the truck and get my game bags.

I had some big coolers with a little block ice left in them and got to Wells, NV at about midnight where I purchased a half dozen bags of crushed to cover her with.

If an option, I believe it is always best to pull the plug on your cooler and let the ice melt drain out so the meat is not marinating in the runoff during the drive home. For me that was about 435 from the kill site. Don't try this if the coolers are riding on the floor of family camper.

The shot was about 20 yards and she traveled a little under 100. As she was running off I got her to stop and look back with some loud mewing. The shot was a little high and further back than preferred. She stood for about 2-3 minutes before laying down and was motionless in 5-6 minutes. I spent most of that time praying that she would go quick.

This bow is a 64" Jim Fisk American Wolf. It has gone 5 for 6 at filling elk tags but 0 for 3 on mule deer with part of the 0 being that miss on national TV in season one and another miss on that big 4 x4 when we were hunting in Montana 5 years ago. 2 for 3 on antelope with badgers, bunnies, porcupines, grouse, quail, chuckars and rattle snakes have also met it's furry.

The hat is a demo version, a very lucky hat of high quality.

Any picture containing camo or hunter orange is a good one.

elk_hunter: I will hook you up when I am done butchering

Hope you all have a good season!

Congratulations NV Longbow! I wish I could have been there with you and apologize for that. Looking forward to your expertise later on this year on that rifle hunt we have!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back