Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NV 131-134 Mule Deer

nontyp

Was not expecting this at all. Already have my hunting pretty well planned for the Fall. Low odds of drawing, but I’m not entirely sure I want the tag especially with the drought. Anyone have opinions on this tag or area? What would you do? I live in KC so it’s no small trip.6B84BF9E-DCFB-4C96-BFAF-AE61386B30FC.jpeg

didnt know they sent out alternate tags without the yes,no option this late after the draw,as a alternate i dont know if it can be returned or points restored?

they have just gotten some monsoonal thunderstorms this week with moisture down there,,there is a fire in 132 {doesnt appear too big}thats about all i know,,i drew 131,132,s 108 elk with only a 3% chance,,im excited about this one.really dont know much about the deer in that unit though,,eastmans green chip i think.

Deer are way down...way down in that unit. So down I would wager that is why the tag was returned. Someone probably scouted and didn't like what they saw.

I had this happen to me in 2018 like two weeks or so before hunt (different units). I hunted it and don't regret it. Have fun. Sorry I don't have specific intel.

didnt know they sent out alternate tags without the yes,no option this late after the draw,as a alternate i dont know if it can be returned or points restored?
Yeah points can still be restored, but I only have 2. No refunds though.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like tags have been cut from 320 to 47 total tags for this hunt. That actually makes it more appealing to me. We’ll see what happens. Need to see if my wife approves I guess.

To get that tag it was your first choice (interesting) but effectively you drew your first choice deer tag and your debating it?.... why even apply then? Go hunt have fun and burn both those points!

To get that tag it was your first choice (interesting) but effectively you drew your first choice deer tag and your debating it?.... why even apply then? Go hunt have fun and burn both those points!
Yeah I know. A few factors are at play. I think my application strategy was poor, mostly just planned to build points. Also if I would’ve found out about 6 weeks ago I’d be all in. I have 3 young kids and already have other hunts planned, so another week long hunt on the books will not be popular at home.

Take the tag! I used to live out there and the rains will come right around now until the end of the month.

If you're not burning many points I'd take the tag and run with it. Deer populations are way down though (like ~20% of what they were/should be) so it might be tough.

There is no yes/no option in Nevada for alternate tags. They automatically sell it to you if you are the next up. You can return it if you get the tag in the mail before the season, but no refund. Part of what you sign up for when you check the box

that will make me think twice before checking the alternate box next year,,,{unless its a desert sheep tag,id make it happen somehow}

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back